• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

help nepas smoker

Started by armpower, December 05, 2009, 12:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armpower

ok i found a forum that had step by step to build a larger smoker out of plywood. i think it was nepas,?  i did not bookmark it and i cant find it some one please help i would love to build a bigger smoker and it looked like it worked well and was simple to build.

thanks much

hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: armpower on December 05, 2009, 12:30:38 PM
ok i found a forum that had step by step to build a larger smoker out of plywood. i think it was nepas,?  i did not bookmark it and i cant find it some one please help i would love to build a bigger smoker and it looked like it worked well and was simple to build.

thanks much

hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season!

Yeah was me but i gotta find it now  :D

nepas

armpower

thanks Mr Nepas  i hope you can i am hoping to make it my christmas project.  what do you think of building a bracket that would accept the bradley generator for the smoke?  would still need a heat source might be too much work when you could just use chips.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: armpower on December 05, 2009, 04:40:56 PM
thanks Mr Nepas  i hope you can i am hoping to make it my christmas project.  what do you think of building a bracket that would accept the bradley generator for the smoke?  would still need a heat source might be too much work when you could just use chips.

armpower

Click my blog link. There you will find all my photos of my smokehouse in progress.

nepas

armpower

clicked on it and didnt find it where do i look?   all i found was some good looking sausage!

smokeitall

Click on older post three times and you should get there.
SIA

NePaSmoKer

armpower

Here are the pics to my smokehouse. Kinda long.

The base 6x6 beams.

I made a double split door

wooden 3/4" dowel racks

I screwed angles for the jerky racks to sit on as well as smoke sticks.

I poured a 5" concrete floor.

2" river rock around the base outside.

vents lower door and upper 6" with damper reduced to a 4" pipe with cap 12" above roof for flow.

I have a 3/4 ply roof with drip edge and shingles on the smokehouse.

This was the season smoke. Had the bottom door open because i didnt have LPG hose placement yet drilled on the side.
As you can see it is not air tight. It does leak smoke from the roof areas and around the door. This aids in ventalation

My neighbor showing his wife how the vent works  :D

I built a platform for the 2 LPG tanks.

I use 2 different types of burners.

My digitals

Some wood

I put sides and roof around the tanks

One of my racks I have 2 this size. I sprayed them down with cooking oil.

Hope this helps some.

NOTE: Dont use a cast iron pan for the chips. I now use a Stainless Steel pan.

nepas

Quarlow

Nice work nepas thats going to make life easier for ya.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Yooper Jim

It sure is a beauty!  Great Job ..... nothing half a$$ed about it.  What is wrong with a cast iron pan?

Pachanga

NePaSmoker,

What was your experience with the cast iron that caused you to switch to the SS?

Very well built structure.  A couple of anchoring rods and it could double as a hurricane structure!!!  You obviously know your business.

Good luck and holy smokes!!!

Pachanga

NePaSmoKer

Thanks everyone

I guess i should have taken pics of the anchoring. I drove 2 rebars down 3ft.

I switched to SS because the cast iron cant take constant 12 to 20 hour heat and the small cast pan cracked in half.

nepas

Pachanga

NePaSmoker,

I should have known you already had taken care of the anchoring rods.  As I stated previously, it is obvious you know your business.

Thanks for enlightening me on the cast iron.  That information will come in handy in the future.  I would have thought the cast iron would have been the preferred material.  I use cast iron mostly for my indoor cooking over a gas range (where did that word come from? My Grandma and Granny called it a stove.) and have for years.  I have cracked a couple of pieces due to water hitting a hot pan.  (I looked up etymology of the word range.  It refers to placing in a row or rank. I assume it refers to the burners being lined up in rows.)

I wonder if some drippings may have been the culprit in your case.  Not that it matters, SS sounds like the correct response to the problem. 

Thanks for the post and photos.

By the way, you mentioned in your post that there is some leakage of smoke.  I agree with you that this might be preferable for circulation.  Historic smokers always have smoke puffing out of cracks and corners.  I would be glad to be in their company and emulate their style.

Good luck and slow smoking.

Pachanga

classicrockgriller

OK, I'm linking this page. NOW