• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Heating Tripping? Need help

Started by Mat_M, December 13, 2009, 01:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mat_M

Well I sure hope this is something that can be fixed: So my OBS just arrived and I am attempting my first smoke with some chicken. I set out to pre-heat the smoker to 250°F. I cranked the slider all the way to the right, but around the time the temperature reached 245°F or so, something trips (you can hear a little pop of some sort), and heating element turns off. The light in the front turns off as well. Then, the temp drops to 210°F over the course of the next 20 minutes. After that, the heating element and light turn back on, and the smoker heats back up to 245°F again. And then, BAM, same thing, I hear a little pop, the light turns off, and the process repeats. So basically I have been sitting here for 2.5 hours watching this repeat, worried that I have a something broken.

Now, this is withOUT any meat in the smoker. For a max rated temperature of 320°F, this is faulty right? I'm maxing out at 245°F. If the element trips with meat in the smoker, I'm assuming I'll have huge temperature swings. For a slider bar temperature control, that just doesn't sound right. I'm in Phoenix, and the temperature is in the low 70s right now in my garage (yes doors are open for ventilation), so I'm pretty sure it's not the weather.

If this is normal operation, then please let me know.

Here's the next question. I ordered an Auber PID as well (has yet to arrive). Is there a way to bypass this internal trip in the smoker so that only the Auber has control of the element?

ronbeaux

I'm so new that I probably shouldn't offer an answer. BUT, Mine did the same thing and it turned out that I needed to make sure the top vent was open at least 1/2 to 3/4 open. After doing that it worked just fine.
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

Habanero Smoker

It shouldn't trip at 245°F with the smoker empty. With the smoker empty the door thermometer should be accurate. So you either have a faulty high temperature switch, or you door thermometer is way off. Do you have a temperature probe you can place near the sensor. If you look inside the cabinet you will see a plug about the size of a quarter. That is the sensor.

I would not recommend by passing the high temperature switch. Contact Bradley Tech. support, or Brian may see this post and respond.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mr Walleye

Hi Matt

A quick question... What are you using to check the tower temp?

If you are using the built in thermometer you may want to check the temps with a thermometer such as the Maverick ET73. Put the probe on the bottom rack or second rack up and re-check your temps.

If your element is still cutting out at 245 degrees I would suspect the high limit switch. The OBS element is wired to a self resetting high temp cut-off switch. It's in the back of the cabinet about midway. If there is something faulty it sounds like this high temp cut off is cutting out a little low. You will want to phone Bradley and have them replace it. To replace it you will need to remove the back panel off the tower. Here is a Photo courtesy of Habanero Smoker. The high temp cut off is in the upper right of the picture. You can temporarily bypass it until you get a replacement but you will want to watch your temps.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Mat_M

Ok let's see if I can answer your questions: I bought a Maverick ET-7 from amazon.com and used that to check temps, along with the temp gauge on the front door of the smoker. The sensor was pretty much dead in the middle of the smoker body: just about halfway up from the bottom, and halfway front-to-back. It pretty much matched the sensor on the Bradley door within 3-4 degrees. So I believe both thermocouples are accurate.

Tenpoint5

I have the digital So I don't know what I am guessing at but could that just be the element cycling on and off just with a rather large temp swing? Just curious
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Mat_M

Yea I think that would be OK, but only if the peak temp was what it's supposed to be, somewhere around 320. If that was the case, I would be cycling from 320 down to 285 or so. But my OBS is doing 245 to 210. I'll give Bradley a call tomorrow to find out what the scoop is. Thank you guys for the quick replies  :D

Habanero Smoker

The door temperature will be fairly accurate when the cabinet is empty. Once you have food in the cabinet always go with the probe. That is if you place it correctly.

Since you have a probe that was placed near the sensor and the probe is reporting that the sensor is tripping at 245°F, then I would say you have a bad high temperature switch. Mike has provided you the instructions on how to replace it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

ArnieM

Interesting discussion.  I've had the OBS since late August.  Outside temp of 90*f.  I don't think I've ever seen it go over 240-245, even empty with the pedal to the metal. 

I've dropped a wired probe through the vent, roughly centered in the cabinet.  The probe and door thermometer tied out to within +/- 2 or 3 degrees.

The OBS doesn't have a thermostat, other than the high temp cutout.  Maybe mine is broken too.  But, then, I smoke/cook at 210-225 so it's not much of a problem.  I just figured the 320*F spec was marketing speak.  Heck, if I want to cook at 320, I'll use the oven.  ;)
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Habanero Smoker

Arnie;

I use to have the same problem as you. I couldn't get the smoker over 240°F either. After some renovations, and electrical work that problem was solved. The electrician stated that I had too many appliances running off the same circuit I had my smoker plugged into, which was causing a voltage drop. When voltage drop occurs, there is not sufficient current to carry enough amps to heat the smoker as it was designed.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

ArnieM

Thanks Habs.  This deck outlet runs off of a 15 Amp GFI breaker.  Any other outlets near water (other outside and bathrooms) use the same breaker, but nothing else is in use.  For all I know, though, the wiring may run all over the house with the deck outlet at the tail end.  That could cause some voltage drop.  I'll get my voltmeter out and check it after I shovel my way out to the OBS.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.