• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

I seem to have a problem with my DBS

Started by RAF128, December 15, 2009, 11:11:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAF128

My 6 rack has worked wonderfully since I got until today.   Today I'm smoking some pepperoni beer sticks.    I started 7 hours ago.    The IT of the sausage seems stalled at 122 degrees.   I've got the smoker set at 240 but it won't go above 210.   Any ideas.

classicrockgriller

Raf, post some more info ... load size, temp outside, etc.

FLBentRider

Vent position ?

extention cord / shared outlet ?

Is that the indication of the DBS or maverick or PID ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

RAF128

The temp is in my heated garage and it's 60 degrees.   The load is about 7 1/2 lbs of beer sticks.  There is not extension cord, it's plug directly into the wall outlet.   The temps are on DBS.   The temp prob is in the meat and the temp is not going up.   The whole thing has been working perfectly until now.   Did a back bacon on the weekend and it was great.
I turned on the smoke generator without any bisquetts to get some added heat.   I finally finished the first load of stick 8 1/2 hrs after I started it.   I checked and it seems the heating element is on but not as bright as it's been in the past.   After this 2nd load is done I'll check the system.    When I originally bought the smoker there was a loose wire and the heating element wouldn't come one at all.   Tomorrow I'll take it apart and check all the connections.

classicrockgriller

Did you change location from where you did the back bacon from over the weekend.

Something very well could not be making a good connections or your plug maybe share with another appliance.

Keep us posted.

RAF128

Nothing has changed.   I've had the smoke generator out of the smoker and cleaned off the heating element.    I just came in from the garage and the IT of the meat is stalled at 129 and the temp inside the smoker is 216.   It's set at 280.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: RAF128 on December 15, 2009, 06:31:11 PM
Nothing has changed.   I've had the smoke generator out of the smoker and cleaned off the heating element.    I just came in from the garage and the IT of the meat is stalled at 129 and the temp inside the smoker is 216.   It's set at 280.

Sticks, bologna and just about any sausage will stall, its just the nature of the beast. Turn your heat down to 180*, sit back have a cold one or warm one and relax. I am finding that the Digital have a 20* heat fluctuation that's why when i do sausage i use my PID.

Take the probe out and try another stick.

nepas

RAF128

Last night it was late when the 2nd and last load was done.    The smoker wouldn't go past 226 even though it was set at 280.    This morning I turned it on empty and in no time the temp was up to 280.    Now I thinking it has to do with the meat.   I didn't think it was that much.   Last week I had 3 pieces of back bacon in there which weighed 6 lbs.   Each load yesterday was about 7 1/2 lbs or maybe more 'cause of the water used in the mixing.   Maybe it's the extra surface area from about 45 - 50 6" sticks ???. 
Interesting was the exhaust pipe out side my garage was in -30C temps and there was an icicle ( or should I say smokecicle) about 1 foot long hanging from the pipe

classicrockgriller

Raf, glad you came back and did a no load test. I know from doing Butts and Briskets, that when the meat stalls I have a feeling that sometime is wrong when all that is happening is magic.