• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Christmas greetings from PA

Started by micdelbo, December 22, 2009, 07:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

micdelbo

Just bought a BDS 4 rack last Saturday and have already done 3 loads of venison jerky. 

Turned out awesome, and compared to the old way I had been smoking-a converted giant stainless steel storage cabinet that was a lot of work for sometimes okay results and sometimes not so okay results- this Bradley is slicker than snot on a doorknob.

The automation and ability to set the temp is amazing.  I noticed I do have to rotate top to bottom and front to back to get even heating, but reading on the site it seems like a brick or some foil in the unit may help when I do a larger job.

I am in the process of doing some summer sausage and am contemplating a Christmas ham.  I had my wife pick up an 11 pound, bone in, unsmoked ham and would really appreciate some advice on smoking it.

I don't know if I want to cook it in the Bradley or just smoke it nice and then heat in the oven.  We have always cooked our hams in ginger ale and they have been great.

I did read some posts on the site after doing a search for "ham", and if nothing else will probably give one of them a go.

Looking forward to some tasty advice.

Mike

classicrockgriller

Welcome to the forum.

as far as your jerky, some have installed a circulation fan and don't think
they have to rotate racks.

Also if you do alot of jerky BigJohnT has installed extra railing and turned his SSB into a 12 rack jerky drier.

Here's a link to the recipe site. There are recipes for Hams.

recipe site: http://www.susanminor.org/forums/

Hope you have a great smoke.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum micdelbo!

If you click on the ribs at the bottom of this post it will take you to our recipe site.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

pensrock

Welcome to the site, we have a few members here from PA I'm in the west/central part of the state.

KevinG

Welcome to the forum, nothing better than smoked jerky!
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Paddlinpaul

The only advice I have is to wash your hands after handling door knobs.
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!

ArnieM

Welcome to the forum Mike.  It's a great community.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

OU812

Hopefull Romantic

I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

3rensho

Welcome mcidelbo. I used to live in Landenburg.  Looking forward to lots of pix.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.