• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Another Noob from Minnesota!

Started by Sweet35th, January 02, 2010, 04:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet35th

Well just bought my first smoker.  I Bradley BT1S1.    I am pretty excited to find this forum.  I have only looked around just briefly and there is ALOT of good information here.     You will probably see me posting alot (probably asking some really dumb questions from time to time too.)

Its well below 0 right now, I really want to fire this guy up!!!!!!    :'(
A wise friend once told me.   "If you sit on the couch all day long drinking beer, your an alcoholic...  If you sit in front of the smoker all day long drinking beer,  your a hero!"

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Sweet35th!

You can find our frequently asked questions here - http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=748#post748
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Sweet35th

Thank you.   

As soon as it warms up a bit I want to try doing up some dry rub ribs.....Just don't know if the smoker would have the snuff to do it when its about -15 F out right now.    What do you think?   (Didn't see that in the FAQs,  don't you people cater to us from Minnesota here??   LOL  j/k)
A wise friend once told me.   "If you sit on the couch all day long drinking beer, your an alcoholic...  If you sit in front of the smoker all day long drinking beer,  your a hero!"

TTNuge

I think you'd be fine with the ribs. Worst case you'd have to bring them in and put them in the over for the last couple hours after smoking them for a while in the Bradley.

Sweet35th

Thanks TT,   good to see a lot of Minnesotans here!

Quarlow

Heck just put it out and pour the heat and smoke to it. When you get the amount of smoke you want take the whole thing in to the garage or kitchen table and let it finish. As long as it's not a blizzard out. ;D ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

TTNuge

I'll be smoking some salmon for dinner tomorrow, fortunately it doesn't require quite the temps as ribs but it wills till be a challenge I think.  The last time I used my OBS on Friday I gave it a little jump start by placing my electric charcoal starter inside first and plugging it in for a bit.  Just have to be real careful the element on that thing isn't touching anything.  Helps get the probe on the Auber PID up to operating temp too.

Quarlow

If you don't have them yet you should get them and if you do have them try to heat them in your oven for awhile before you put your items in the smoker. Tin foil covered bricks is what I'm talking about. They act as a heat mass and help to recover your temps after you have opened the tower.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Tenpoint5

Fire them ribs up as long as you have your Bradley vent protected from the wind. You will be good to go.Some of the Canada folks be smoking ribs at -30.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KevinG

Welcome Sweet35th, sorry - can't help with the 0 degree temp. I have to suffer with this 80 degree stuff here today.  ;D
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Sweet35th

Quote from: KevinG on January 03, 2010, 04:23:32 AM
Welcome Sweet35th, sorry - can't help with the 0 degree temp. I have to suffer with this 80 degree stuff here today.  ;D

Now that was just plain evil!  haha 

You warm guys are going to be pissed when us up in the frozen tundra perfect smoked ice cubes!

MPTubbs

Can you cold smoke snow?

If there was a demand for that I'd be rich! ;)
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.