Hi from Southern Maryland and comment about the new Auber PIDs

Started by Mark1, January 07, 2010, 10:16:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark1

Hello Smoker's! 

I've been lurking on this forum and learning a bunch about smokers and how to smoke from all of you.  Thanks.

I currently am using an old Mastercraft 5 in one smoker that I am using a hot plate under w/ a rheostat to make jerky.   Obviously, temp control is a problem with wind, cold, etc.

It looks like Auber's new Dual Probe PID w/ extra 2 relays will be just what the Dr. ordered v/s their new Bradley dual probe PID w/o the 2 extra relays.  I like the former because I'm pretty sure I can add an external alarm to one of the extra relays to signal when the IT of the meat is done.  What I don't know is if these relays send low volt control current to the devices or 110V to the devices.  I suspect these 2 extra relays only send control voltages that would have to activate a SSR that is separately powered by 110v. I have a question into Auber about this but it looks like it would be very easy to retro any 110v device w/ a SSR if required.

The second thing I like about the new PID would be the ability to activate a separate smoke generating heating element separate from the Smokers heating element.  I'm not sure about being restricted to using proprietary Bradley pucks instead of my own wood in their generator.  I have a lathe and could make perfect sized pucks but these don't seem to do very well based on other folks posts.  My question to the group is can the 20 minute feed rate be adjusted and would this then permit wood pucks to be used?  Right now I'm just placing water soaked wood chips in a dry pan over the heating element to generate 15 minutes of smoke for jerky.

Thanks in advance for your help.  You have a great forum.

Mark

pensrock

To answer your question, no the twenty minutes is fixed. I'm not saying an electronics expert could not figure out how to add more time but its not something you can set.
I'm not sure about the Aubers cause I never got the chance to play with one but most temperature controllers have alarms built into them, you need to select and set them to work. They are normally only contacts so you can use AC/DC voltage through the contacts. But like you stated if Auber is sending an output to the extra relays then I would think it would be very easy to use whatever voltage across the contacts you need.

Mark1

Folks,

This new PID w/ the relays that can power up to 2 additional devices not to exceed 3A, albeit via timer only, seems to be the way to go! 

Below is Suyi's very prompt response.  Time to order!

Suyi,

Thanks for the quick response.

I think I got it.  In my example I can do everything but have an alarm go off once the Internal temperature probe reaches a desired temp.  I could use a timing function for the alarm for the last relay.

The both temp probes controll the voltage going out and the IT probe can overide just like the Bradley version of this device.

The 2 extra relays can be connected directly to power cords provided the 110V draw does not exceed 3A.  This is really neat.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Sales Auber Ins
Sent: Thursday, January 07, 2010 1:01 PM
To: Mark Holmes
Subject: Re: Message from auberins.com

Hello Mark,

In addition to the two relays, the more expensive model can handle 15 A or 1800 Watt heater. It has a larger box and heat sink at the bottom.

The heater is switched  by the solid state relay that is controlled by the temperature. probes.
The two additional relays are time controlled relay. They are electromechanical relay with 3 A rating. They can switch 110 or 200V source. If the external device draws more than 3 A, you need to use it to drive a external relay (or contactor) for higher current.
Here is a example how to program the timer relay.
Assuming you want to cook at the 160 F for 100 minutes. But you only want to turn on the smoker generator for 60 minutes. You want relay 1 to turn on the generator.
Set step 1 for 60 minutes at 160F.
Set step 2 for 40 minutes at 160F
Set relay 1 to be on during step 1.

Please let me know if that is not clear.
Thanks,
Suyi

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 11:50 AM, Mark Holmes <[email protected]> wrote:

Email:  [email protected]

------------------------------------------------------

Auber,

I'm assuming that your Bradley dual probe controller and your $20 more
expensive $195 Dual probe controller w/ 2 extra relays are the same except
for the 2 extra relays.

My question is will these relays power 2  additional 110V devices and are
there really 3 relays on this controller v/s only 1 on the Stanley dual
probe device?

For example, Plug a Stanley Smoker (or other heat source) to the first
relay, leaving 2 relays open.  Program using probe 1 temp.  Turn off once
probe 2 internal temp is reached.

Connect a smoke generator using the 2nd relay and program using a time
parameter. (*turn off after 1 hr)

Connect a 110V audible alarm using the 3rd relay.  Program to sound alarm
once probe 2 internal temp is reached.  (note can't use temp probe for this, only a timing parameter - mh)

Do I understand what this gadget does?

Thanks,

Mark