Monkey see, monkey do .....

Started by outdoorsfellar, January 13, 2010, 08:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

outdoorsfellar

Well well .... I've finally gotten around to doing my first pork butt after paying attention to quite a few great posts here about others doing the same thing. I went out last evening & bought a 6 lb butt & injected & lathered it up using CT. At 9:30 pm I popped my butt in the OBS at 220 degrees & smoked for 4 hours using hickory. MY OBS is in the garage & soon after the smoke cycle ended, the 5 degree temps sent my OBS temp spiraling downward. At 3 am, I put the butt in the oven at 220 & when I woke up in the morning, the house had a wonderful aroma which lasted all day until the IT reached 187 at 2pm. I then pulled it out & FTCd with apple juice for 2 more hours when it was time to eat & then go out for the evening. I just now got back home & couldn't wait to make a few more sandwiches & post my accomplishments !

A good rub a dub dub .....

IT of 187, time to wrap it up ....

The unveiling ....

All chopped & ready for the buns & sauce ......

On a side note, I'm in the process of building my own UDS, which I'll call BFS for obvious reasons, so this will be a great year in smoking every which way I can   :)

HawkeyeSmokes

HawkeyeSmokes

classicrockgriller

You are the man!

YOU will be teachin class next week!

Nice Butt and I mean it! ;D

squirtthecat

Quote from: outdoorsfellar on January 13, 2010, 08:05:05 PM
building my own UDS, which I'll call BFS for obvious reasons

Tiny little thing, is it?  :D

pensrock

Looks great.
One question: Is that how you put it in your oven? Just on the Bradley rack sitting on a piece if foil.
The reason I ask is a lot of fat will come out as it cooks, I would think your oven would be a real mess right now. I normally put mine in a deep foil pan and there is a ton of liquid when its done.

outdoorsfellar

Quote from: pensrock on January 14, 2010, 06:32:49 AM
I would think your oven would be a real mess right now. I normally put mine in a deep foil pan and there is a ton of liquid when its done.

Well, since this was my 1st time doing this, I didn't think of that. At 3 in the morning, I'm not accustomed to much thinking as it is...lol. So yes, there was a bit of a mess, enough that I had to hurry up & clean the oven, since it IS brand new & my wife would have had another type of butt on a platter if she found out....lol

Caneyscud

Outdoorsfella

Looks mighty good.  Sit back and enjoy the first! 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

FLBentRider

Very nice Outdoorsfella.

How was the bark ? did you put a rub on it ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

oakville smoker

Oh that looks good
Time to do another butt, SOONER than later

So much too smoke, so little time !
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

OU812

Nice job on your first butt, dont get any better than that.

seemore

outdoorsfellar

Thanks everyone ! All I used was CT on the outside & in. There was no marinating time as I just wanted to see how it turned out without any rub. That CT ... & I'm sure there's other bbq cooking sauces out there that can do it, certainly puts on a nice bark ! The smell in the house reminded me of walking in to my grandparents house eons ago & smelling a glazed ham or something of the sort .... I was really proud that I too could produce that. I was prepared for this to take a good while to finish & was able to be home for a couple of days for this to happen. Still, with the 4 hours of hickory, I couldn't taste it, & when you add bbq sauce, that's all you'll taste just the same.

classicrockgriller

ODF, the 4 hrs of smoke is a quide and is adjustable to your taste.

The last two butts I did was with 8 hrs of smoke, then some cook time and a new coat of sauce and 3 more hrs of smoke.

But as been stated by others before me and you will learn, a butt will not take on a whole lot of smoke.

That why I like to pull the piggie, chop up the bark and mix in back in with the pulled piggie and let all them rest together

in a sealed bag or container. It does make a difference. you might not want a suace next time.

outdoorsfellar

Quote from: classicrockgriller on January 14, 2010, 09:47:34 PM
That why I like to pull the piggie, chop up the bark and mix in back in with the pulled piggie and let all them rest together
in a sealed bag or container. It does make a difference. you might not want a suace next time.

I do remember reading that beforehand & that's something I wanna try sometime. I just can't figure out how you can resist the urge to start chomping away once pulled ..... ;D