New OBS in Illinois

Started by mbetz, January 15, 2010, 05:10:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbetz

Hi,  I would like to reintroduce myself.  My name is Mark and I am from Illinois.  I have been lurking around the forum for about a few months now.  I recently just purchased a OBS.  You may have seen some of my post were I have been recently trying to get a smoke generator to work with my old propane smoker with no success.  The smoke generator worked fine just could not get it to draft properly with my old propane smoker.  So I guess I have a back up smoke generator if I need one.

I am really impressed by the support on this forum for new comers to Bradley smokers.

I have not seasoned my smoker yet and will probably do it tomorrow.

Do any of you have any suggestions on meat or recipes that I could wow my family with?  I am looking for something that I could cook in a 12hr period.

With my old smoker I have done a dry rub on a 5lb pork loin that my family just loved.

Thanks for all of your help, and I look forward to my new adventure with my new OBS and this forum.

Mark

FLBentRider

I was going to suggest a pork butt, but then you put that 12 hour limit on it. Scratch one pork butt.

Whole chickens take 4-5 hours. There is a brined chicken recipe by MWS on the recipe site that is great.

You've already done pork loin.

Oh the possibilities.... mooink balls, fatties, the list goes on.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

Welcome Mark!  Greetings from Springfield, IL..

Turkey breast roasts come out great - are are fairly quick smokes..
Look for the little boneless Butterball or Honeysuckle White's at your grocery store.

I thaw in fridge/sink, rub in olive oil and sprinkle some rub on them and cook to an IT of just over 160*. (start with 2 hours of smoke and see if it is enough - then adjust next time)  Wrap in foil and let them rest wrapped up in a towel for a while...   Mmm Mmm good.

Keep that vent open!

Maybe put a small ham on the rack above it and smoke/heat to an IT of 140*.

mbetz

Thanks for the suggestions.  The reason I wanted to keep the cooking time at 12hrs or under is I wanted to get a feel for the smoker before I did a long smoke.

Caneyscud

Also very good

Small boneless butt
Ribs
Chuckie
Meat loaf
Brisket flat
Pork loin
Rib Roast
Chicken Thighs
Fatties
Moinkballs
ABT's
Buffalo Wings

My first choice would probably be ribs!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

classicrockgriller

mbetz, Maybe after running the OBS a while you will see something that can help in the draft problem with the

propane smoker. But you will enjoy the OBS and the ease of smoking great food.

Good luck on your first smoke and like before, any questions just ask.

Keep us posted with pic of your smokes.

Quarlow

I agree with Caney. My first smoke besides salmon was ribs and man were they good. The wife and kids won't eat any others now.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

OU812

I would go for chicken if you want a short smoke/cook.

Paddlinpaul

ABTs are awesome as are ribs. No matter what you do, I.m sure everyone will love it.
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!

hal4uk

mbetz...

Squirt's lyin' to ya. 
He ain't in Springfield. 
But it ain't my fault.

Luuuuuuuuuuuuuke...
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex