• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Curing and aging beef?

Started by Toker, February 23, 2010, 07:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toker

Hi curing experts, I'm relatively new in the curing process other than bacon. Now I'm facing a new dilemma; i have a brisket bought yesterday in the fridge for wet aging but after the 4 weeks aging time I'm planing to cure it to become a pastrami but would the curing process void the wet aging process? I'M i wasting my time?

Also, i usually cure my brisket for 7 days (that's what i did the other the 1st time i did) but with the 4 weeks of wet aging + the 7 days of curing it makes 5 weeks, is it safe to keep a brisket that long into the fridge uncooked? O f course i will be vacseal all this time but...?

Thx.

Gizmo

I  have not tried wet aging.  I would be afraid that the meat would go bad as you don't know how long it sat in the fridge at the market before you buy it.  It the meat is still good going into the curing process, the curing process should prevent any problems from occurring after that point.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Toker

OK but wet aging is supposed to be use for softening the meat and curing it get it firm so would the curing void the wet aging process according you?

I always (or most of the time) know how old is my meat with this butcher i can trust him.

Gizmo

Good question.
I would think the cure would firm up the meat.  The wet aging may still provide additional flavor but not sure if the combo would give you the results you are looking for.  Could still try it.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

What cut of the brisket are you using? Is it the whole brisket, point of flat?

How thick is it at the thickest area?

What curing method are you using; wet brine, or dry rub?

The reasons for the above questions is to determine why you are curing for seven days. If you can cut your cure time to four days (that is what I use for a flat) or less, your odds of turning out a perfect pastrami has increased by 50%. All curing guidelines start with using the freshest meat possible, but aged beef puts a new spin on this. If the meat is safe after aging, I would believe it could be cured for another 4 days. I would think that most people who have aged beef can store it safely in the refrigerator for 4 days after the aging process, but then 4 weeks is a long time to age. If you use a wet brine (which I don't prefer) and inject the meat you will insure that the cure will start working in the center immediately and from the outside in.

During aging, enzymes in the meat are believed to  make changes in the structure of collagen and muscle fibers, making them more tender. I'm just thinking out loud, does the aging process change the myoglobin which is the protein that reacts to nitrites to give that characteristic reddish color, and if so will you get that reddish color? Also with the change in muscle fiber, will it firm up during curing or firm up as much? If you cure the aged brisket, I would like to know the answers to those questions?

Still in the end you will have a more tender pastrami?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Toker

But i don't need to age it you know it is just for the new experience and also i can age it for a shorter period if you advise me. I have never did it before it is my 1 st attempt. I just thought it would be better taste this way. Yes the brisket is whole for now. Regular seize, i would say but before curing it with basic cure ( sorry i have no TQ here), i will separate the flat from the point and my curing plan is to go dry cure following your pastrami recipe. Tell me if you think my plan seems wrong don't be afraid.

p.s. the 7 curing days mark was mistake sorry it should have been written 5 days not 7.

Habanero Smoker

I'm not that familiar with wet aging, but Old's ages his for 30 days. I'm very interested on how this will turn out. If the meat is alright after aging, and you are going to separate the point from the flat prior to curing the flat should only take 4 days to cure, the point, because of the fat content, may take longer. To be on the safe side try aging for 3 weeks, I've read a few articles that mention wet aging beef over 11 days there will be no noticeable change.

So I feel if you cut the aging period, you can go ahead and use your curing times. It should not only be more tender but more flavorful. I think it is a good plan, I wish I had thought about it first. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Toker

OK, i will make the way you said and keep you informed of the results after it's done. THX for your time.