Lube for stuffer piston

Started by love the smoke, January 15, 2010, 04:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadking

Everybody has there own method. My thought on the O-ring thing is this. Food grade lube or spray is safe to use on the equipment that is processing food. If used to lubricate the equipment and it happens to get in contact with the food it will not harm you.
I personally don't want to eat it even if it is safe. My O-ring, piston and stainless steel tube get lubricated with the beef or pork fat from the product I just ground up. After use I wash everything and will spray the O-ring with the food grade spray and put it into a zip lock bag for storeage. Then wash the spray off before before use and lube the ring as mentioned.
It's just me but I don't like the idea of eating silicone whether it's safe or not.

Definition from USDA:
Food grade lubricants are extreme-pressure, synthetic lubricants designed for industrial machinery in which incidental contact may occur between food and lubricants. Biodegradable lubricants are preferred in the food service industry because of the contact that occurs between consumable goods and lubricated machinery. Specialized polymer greases provide protection for equipment in the food industry.

watchdog56

Do you think regular vegetable oil like Mazolla would work?

Roadking

I've used olive oil in a pince. Just wash good after use.