• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Mama said we weren't watching the game

Started by Caneyscud, February 08, 2010, 01:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caneyscud

and I obey what mama says! - at least as much as I can!  I's askeered of her!  But I am proud to say she at least knew New Orleans was in the game.  So I asked her what she wanted to eat for supper and she said in honor of New Orleans she wanted something cajun.  OK I asked, what did she want - I was expecting gumbo, shrimp picante, oyster po'boy, jambalaya, Ettouffee or something like that.  (I cook at our house, but I don't wear the pants!).  Well she proceeds to tell me she wanted shrimp-n-grits!  I didn't have the heart or the guts to tell her - wrong part of the country!  Oh well.  So shrimp-n-grits is what she got along with some fried gulf coast oysters!  Came out pretty good.  Used more shrimp than grits, some Andouille I made a month ago but did not smoke (unfortunately), half-n-half to make the grits, and something new I'm crazy about - goat milk butter!  The only thing I was going to make, but forgot was fried blackeyes. 

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Tenpoint5

Who cares where its from it sure nuff looks like comfort food to me!! I will take a plate full!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

Bet you looked cute in your TuTu cooking shrinp-n-grits. ;D

Does look like some good chow!

Up In Smoke

Holy....Son of a.......just plain WOW :o :o
I don't like grits, but if i had to eat them first to get the rest of the goodies
call me a grit lovin' fool!
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

seemore

I would like to try shrimp and grits.
Caney, would you care to divulge your recipe for grits?
Mrs

Caneyscud

The Tu Tu was kinda scratchy.  My thighs got a little chafed!   ;D  Couldn't find my pink one so had to wear my yellow one!

My version of Shrimp-n-grits is usually a throw together - meaning no recipe.  But the best I can remember this is the ingredients this time.  They turned out pretty good.  Not real low-country style but quite tasty

Grits.  this is 3 servings - 2 if you are hungry - 1 if you are caney!
¾ cup quick or instant grits
3 cups half & half (a little less than recommended – I like them stiffer)(use skim milk if want less fat and calories)
Cook in small pot until done, following package directions (pkg directions won't have half & half)
Melt in while hot
2 Tbsp of lightly salted butter (or margarine) (the goat milk butter was great in these)
Somewhere between 1/8th to ¼ pound of Mexican Velveeta or Kroger's Quesco Blanco process cheese (recommended)
Couple Tbsp of granulated garlic
One or two teaspoons of Cajun spice blend
Teaspoon of chicken base
Cayenne if you want a kick
Adjust consistency by adding more milk .

Shrimps
2 pounds of large shrimp (31-35 would be smallest I'd use)
1 pound Andouille sausage
Large onion diced
6 green onions diced
¼ small green bell pepper diced
4 oz cream cheese (1/3 less fat CC works fine)
½ cup cooked and crumbled bacon (I used precooked this time)
Half & half (skim milk works fine)
½ cup grated cheddar
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp butter (or margarine - but the goat milk butter worked great)
Tbsp granulated garlic
Tbsp Cajun spice
Tbsp or more of smoke paprika
Salt and coarse grind pepper
Teaspoon of chicken base
Cayenne to kick it up if wanted

Cook 8 slices bacon until crisp – take out and crumble when cool
Crumb and cook andouille then sit aside
Cook onion , green onion, and pepper in drippings until softened.  Add olive oil if not enough drippings.
Add cream cheese, and cheeses to melt
Add half & half to thin and smooth out – stir until smooth
Add garlic, Cajun spice blend, chicken base, salt, pepper, paprika cayenne – stir
Add butter and shrimp
Cook shrimp until just pink
Add bacon and andouille and stir
Adjust consistency with half & half if needed
Add more garlic and cayenne to your taste.
Add more paprika if you want more color

Serve by topping a serving of grits with a serving of shrimp.  You get to determine serving size! 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

seemore

Thanks, Caney!!!!  I am going to show this to Mr - maybe we will do this over the weekend!
Mrs