Looking for the Secret of How to Crisp the Chicken Skin

Started by Rainmaker, January 31, 2010, 10:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rainmaker

I did my first chicken today.  I read numerous posts to try to get lots of advice on how to keep skin from going rubbery.  Chicken weighed about 4 or 5 lbs.  Unfortunately, I didn't get the chicken in time to brine it.  I spatchcocked the chicken, pulled back the skin and applied Jan's rub, replaced the skin and injected with Kraft's garlic and herb dressing and marinade then basted skin with garlic butter.

I put in OBS preheated to 200 deg and applied  2hrs of apple smoke.  IT when I put it in was 52 deg.  I kept an I on the temp and kept it between 200 and 220 degs.  After about 2 hours IT had risen to 155.  I took it our when IT hit 170 (only another 1/2 hour) and quickly brushed with some more garlic butter and put in a 400 deg oven for 15 mins.  I didn't want to leave it in too long as I was afraid of drying it out too much.

Flavour was great with good smoke taste and the garlic really came through.  Chicken was very moist - even the white meat.  However, I was a little disappointed with the skin as it wasn't real crispy like I can get it on the grill.  Should I have left it the oven longer?  Will it eventually crisp up if you leave it longer?

Thnaks for any advice

classicrockgriller

Most people that try to crispen a chicken skin in the Bradley use a temp of 250* or better.

If you want to finish in the oven to chrispen the skin, take it out of the Bradley a little earlier

like 150* IT and let it roast up to proper IT while the skin crispens.

An oil rub on the breast will help also ... IE: olive oil, veggie oil, etc.

OR ...

Put the Oven on Broil if the IT is there (to crispen the skin). Make sure you rotate the bird to chrispen all sides.

Rainmaker

Thanks Classicrock.  Not sure If I've ever had my OBS up to 250, but will try next time.  Failling that I'll broil.  Other than the skin, I like it.

Habanero Smoker

Prior to placing them in the smoker, try brushing the skin with oil or melted butter, lightly dust the skin with cornstarch, then add your rub. Take them out of the smoker earlier, and then place them in the oven. For myself 170°F is overcooking the chicken.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

OU812

I have good luck gettin crispy skin by brushin the chicken down with butter smokin at 250 F pull out of the smoker at an IT of 140 F then throw on a hot grill and finish to an IT of 165F.

Now I use the BE rather than the grill.

squirtthecat

Ronbeaux had a thread on some FoodService stuff that he rubbed on smoked chicken, and the skin crisped up..

Tenpoint5

Quote from: squirtthecat on February 01, 2010, 07:25:37 AM

Ronbeaux had a thread on some FoodService stuff that he rubbed on smoked chicken, and the skin crisped up..
Squirt that was Mies Breading. He used it on the grill and got a fried chicken appearance as a result.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

squirtthecat

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on February 01, 2010, 07:32:28 AM
Quote from: squirtthecat on February 01, 2010, 07:25:37 AM

Squirt that was Mies Breading. He used it on the grill and got a fried chicken appearance as a result.

That's right.   

BigJohnT

I'm like OU812 and use the BE for chicken cause it is so good and tasty and the skin crisps up just right.

John

OU812

Quote from: BigJohnT on February 01, 2010, 09:46:09 AM
I'm like OU812 and use the BE for chicken cause it is so good and tasty and the skin crisps up just right.

John

and with the BE you dont have to turn all the pieces like on the grill.

BigJohnT

Quote from: OU812 on February 01, 2010, 09:49:39 AM
Quote from: BigJohnT on February 01, 2010, 09:46:09 AM

John

and with the BE you dont have to turn all the pieces like on the grill.

or have flare ups...

JT