• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Forgot Windows XP Sign On Password

Started by oakville smoker, February 04, 2010, 11:25:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakville smoker

There seem to be a number of IT guys hanging out in these parts
Maybe one of you can help

I bought the wife a new computer for Christmas, the old one was dying but still functional
I know I am a nice guy    ::)

I thought I had cleaned out all the files of any importance off it and tranferred them to the new machine
NOT
Now the password for the XP machine has been forgotten and no one can access the machine

Is there a way to by pass it?  I seem to remember a long time ago that you could pull the battery
and it would kill all the passwords and you got access to the machince .  Its a Dell so there is no system disc to fall back on and that always introduces the prospect of losing data with accidental formatting and all that good stuff

Any help as always would be appreciated
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

squirtthecat

Pulling the batteries might have eventually reset the BIOS password.. (and probably not on a modern motherboard)

But the XP Password?  Nope.  Did you log in as Administrator, or via another user?

TTNuge

There's quite a few tools out there that will help you.  Most are floppy based Linux installs that will allow you to change the Admins password on the machine.  Another option is to install the hard drive from the old computer into the new computer as a slave.  That way once you boot up the machine the second drive should show up and you could then grab the files you need off it.  I have an external USB HDD enclosure just for this sort of thing.

Depending on your comfort level of opening up a PC either one is doable.  Google XP Password Recovery Tools for some tips on the first method.

FLBentRider

Quote from: TTNuge on February 04, 2010, 11:41:04 AM
There's quite a few tools out there that will help you.  Most are floppy based Linux installs that will allow you to change the Admins password on the machine.  Another option is to install the hard drive from the old computer into the new computer as a slave.  That way once you boot up the machine the second drive should show up and you could then grab the files you need off it.  I have an external USB HDD enclosure just for this sort of thing.

Depending on your comfort level of opening up a PC either one is doable.  Google XP Password Recovery Tools for some tips on the first method.

I would agree with TTNuge.

Slaving the HD is probably the safest method.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KevinG

I think you should be able to contact MS and they can walk you through a procedure, it may cost a couple of bucks though.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Halifax Aussie

In 1992, Newfoundland scientists discovered that Bacon was made from pigs.

oakville smoker

Thanks
Gonna try the safe mode strategy and see if that works
This is not the end of the world but it could always be a spare if it could fire again
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

JF7FSU

There are several bootable CD's out there that can reset your Windows password.  I am assuming you are not talking about a bios password. 

Try this

http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/
Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone