• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

nsxbill check this out. (hanging ribs)

Started by SMOKEHOUSE ROB, April 10, 2005, 05:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

bill i took the middle support bar out on one side, then i put it to the test so i decide to do some ribs, 3 whole racks soaked in 1L bottle of coke and 1L bottle  of lime/coke overnight , cut in half, then hung to room temp , rubed down with rub into smoker with a mix of apple and pecan for 3 hours of smoke a cabnet temp of 215. then slid the rib/sausage rack out of the carrying/drying rack  right into the bradley.  

JJC

As tired as I am from yard work this evening, those pix inspire me!!!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Oldman

Nice~~! However, what really caught my eye was the brick under the generator! That is one thing I don't have to worrry about here and that is heat. On then other hand I might be able to cold smoke 2-6 weeks per year. This year it was maybe 10 days... with only about 4 of those getting down to the upper 30 F. The rest in the 50 F.

Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

jaeger

Smokehouse Rob,
Looks like a nice tweek to the original design. It looks like you also added a couple of supports on the side of the drying rack to support the sausage rack as it is being loaded etc...

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

TheDude

Great setup!

I have to agree with Olds, I don't use a brick and I've never had trouble with heat either. I've never had any trouble maintaining an internal temp of 225-240 even when it was nearly -30 F outside (no trouble maintaining an internal temp of 50 F that day either).

I know that some people use a brick to decrease the time to reach 220 AFTER the meat has been loaded, but by my logic, half a brick isn't going to make that much difference after loading the smoker with 20 lbs of meat.

The Dude

Habanero Smoker

Since I have started using a brick, I find that the recovery time is shorter then when I do not use the brick. When you open the door, most of the hot air escapes, very little if any of the heat from the brick is lost outside of the cabinet. Once the door is closed the heat given off from the brick aids the quartz lamp in reheating the cabinet.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

JJC

I agree with Hab . . . recovery times are definitely shorter with a brick (I use ceramic tiles, but the concept is the same).  This is because the temp probes are measuring the air temp.  The meat temp does not change when the door is opened (at least not by more than a degree or two) as long as the door is not left open for a long time.  Thus the brick is not competing with the meat mass, it's competing with the air mass plus the surface of the meat plus the surface of the metal liner of the smoker.  Air mass is negligible, as is the surface of the meat; the lining of the BS thatg cools off significantly when the door is opened is probably less than or equal to the weight of the brick, so having the brick in there will definitely help shorten the recovery time.  JMHO . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA