• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New OBS Owner with late introduciton

Started by Thor, February 21, 2010, 01:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thor

Proper form to make an introduction.  Greetings from Papillion Nebraska.    I own one now! Love it!  Need a PID!  Work faster Auber!   Need a shelter!  Need more pucks!

Thanks to all who helped me make the decision to get the Bradley over the Masterbuilt the Admiral ordered from QVC (that got stuck in the UPS black hole of Louisville) Glad it did. 

We got it shortly after the 1st of the year and I have had 4 excellent smokes.  The first was spare ribs, then a brisket (did not follow all directions properly, fat side down)  tasted great, but not very moist.  The back ribs were great.  And the pork butt was the best I ever had.  I have 3 in the freezer for next weekend.  I promise to take pics of that one.   For now I have pics of the boys showing off "their" new smoker.   

Look forward to posting and asking lots of questions.   My only complaint is there are to many great recipes over at susanminor and I feel the need to try them all ASAP, but I do not have to budget to replace wardrobe. 

For now the OBS is on a folding table in the garage, but the Admiral thinks garages are for cars (they are in fact for tools and toys), so I need to make a shelter for it.  On my first smoke I did not open the door enough and my son's room had a yummy mesquite aroma for a week or so.  I have all the tools, but kids and skill and confidence make it a slow process.   I made a post in the OBS section soliciting opinions on my design ideas so far. 

Off to the Y for swim lessons, so happy hour will have to wait.   

Take care.

If you got it, smoke it.

Tommy3Putts

Hiya Thor

Welcome.  That's and awesome way to introduce yourself to the forum.   Glad to have you aboard.  There are some great Bradley experts here. 

I really enjoyed the pics of the OBS.

Looking forward to your posts

T3Ps

BTW---Boomer Sooner  ;D

Tenpoint5

Welcome Aboard!!
You will have to make sure you get them boy's doing their own smokes with guidance. I do with 3 of my four yardapes. Wait until you start making sausage!! They will have a blast.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

Thor, glad to have you with us.

Kids look excited to have a new smoker for you to make some great food in.

Tou guys are gonna have fun with the Bradley.

Let the smoke roll!

MPTubbs

Welcome to the forum from Gretna, Nebraska, Thor!

If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

Paddlinpaul

You sure don't waste time. You sound like an old pro already!
One thought though. If the smell of mesquite made it to the boy's room from the garage, are you not concerned about carbon monoxide from the exhaust of the car getting in there? I know our building codes say the garage has to be sealed from the house for that reason.
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!

KevinG

Welcome aboard Thor, sounds like you've got the ticket on how to get the job done. I'll bet that boy on the left has some sneaky smoking tricks up his sleeves.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Thor

Thanks for the welcome.  

MPTubbs, greetings, love Vala's.  Ever tried to smoke a pumpkin?   Bet we can make better turkey legs than them?

Regarding our building codes.  I generally try to keep the garage door open when the engines are running, but the little red monster angel on the left has caused me to rethink that policy on more than one occasion.  :-X  Well the house is 10 years old and I have had it for 4.  So far I am not all that impressed with the building codes up here.  They do not even require the HVAC ducts be sealed, you have to go out and spend a grand to have a contractor do that.  The garage is "finished" but if you have ever done any drywall work, you know it is next to impossible to not have a coating of white dust all over everything in the house regardless of how much plastic and duct tape you use. Smoke particles are even smaller.  Remember this is the Nebraska "the land of contradictions"  with some of the highest property tax rates (I pay 2.17% of MARKET valuation) and lowest teacher salaries in the country.  I have really grown to like it here, but it does have some drawbacks.

Had some left over butt sandwiches for dinner tonight and it tasted just as good as it did out of the cooler last week.  I have never been able to just pinch that blade bone and pull it right out of the roast.  Truly amazing.

Been reading a bit about brines and wet aging.  I am not a fan of salty meat, so I will need some hand holding there the Admiral just rolls her eyes when I suggest leaving a 12lb brisket in the fridge for a month. I keep telling her I have let her age a lot longer than that and still think she is yummy.   Baby steps, baby steps.  

Take care all.
If you got it, smoke it.

West Coast Kansan

Greetings Thor,  A couple of good looking Huskers puttin that Bradley together  ;D I have a daughters family that just moved from LaVista to Gretna... Good smoking country for not being in Kansas  ;D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

OU812

Welcome to the fun. Thor

I'm just north of ya, in the hills of Blair