• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First smoke ?

Started by Smokertime, March 26, 2010, 09:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokertime

Hi, new to forum, doing some pork side ribs this weekend,first smoke ever.Question is, is it necessary to put a second tray on bottom rack, to lesson clean up?  

I'm doing 4 slabs of ribs, is it better to use bottom racks or fill from top rack down? Going to do 3-2-1 method. Made a rub today for ribs, wifie thinks I have gone crazy with this

stuff. I must admit I can hardly wait to try this smoker out. Dumb questions from newbie. TIA

"Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!"

DTAggie

No dumb questions and I have found clean up of racks and v-shield is very easy so do not worry about that.  I put ribs from top down but bigger pieces like the brisket I have on now at bottom.

classicrockgriller

You don't have to put a second tray in.

Sometimes I spray down my v-tray "BEFORE" putting

it in the Bradley and that helps with clean up with Pam.

If you have a 4 rack, I would load from top down.

Also rotate your racks after an hr and a half or so.

Top to bottom / front to back.

ArnieM

Hi ST and welcome to the forum.  As DTAggie said, there's no such thing as a dumb question.  We're all here learnin' stuff.

What smoker do you have?  I have an OBS 4 rack.  I like to get the ribs up high, away from the direct heat.  I also do 'em bone side down and make sure you take off the bone-side membrane.

I'd definitely rotate, front to back and top to bottom for four racks, at least half way through.  I'm guessing spare ribs here.  They might take a bit longer than the 3-2-1.

Please get back with more details if you can and "When's dinner?"
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Smokertime

Thanks for the quick replies gang, those are great tips and will help a great deal. I have 6 rack digital. Wanted the extra capacity avail. if required.

Will be doing pork side ribs, dinner is Sunday around 5:00pm. Probably put ribs in smoker around 1000 am.

I'll be keeping a close watch this first smoke.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!"

classicrockgriller

If you have a 6 rack, and have 4 racks of ribs, leave top & bottom shelf open.

If you have 5 racks of ribs, use top shelf and leave bottom open.