• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Multiple meats - recommendations and advice

Started by GusRobin, March 24, 2010, 06:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

I have 2 three lb pork bellies (bacon) and a 5 lb brisket flat (for pastrami) curing. The plan is to smoke them this Saturday. I also wannted to add a rack of baby backs and smoke all at the same time.
The brislet and riibs would go at the same temp, 200 -220 range, but the bacon goes at 140 ish.
My plan would be to put them all in at the same time and smoke for 2 hours at 140 and when the bacon is down to up the temp to 220 until the ribs and pastrami are done. I will 3-2-1 the ribs (may have to do a little longer than 3 since the first few hours would be at 140.)
Anyone see anything wrong with this approach or should I just do the bacon separate and put the ribs and brisket in after the bacon is done?
thanks
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

FLBentRider

You _can_ smoke all that together, but the perplexing thing to me is what you would have dripping on what.

I'm not sure I want pastrami dripping on my bacon or vice versa.

I suppose if you put the pork on the left side of the racks and the beef on the right you could avoid that.

Maybe put the ribs underneath everything for a unique basting experience.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

That might be some "off the chain" ribs when all that is dripped on them.

You might need to send them to me for sampling. ;D

Tenpoint5

I would hold off on the ribs for another smoke by themselves. The Bacon and the Pastrami have both been cured with cure #1 the ribs have not. Therfore the ribs will be in the danger zone for an entirely too long of a time. You are looking at make some great food PLEASE don't risk getting someone sick because you didn't want to waste a couple of pucks. It just isn't worth it. Do the ribs on their own separate smoke.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

I would do the ribs and the pastrami in one smoke at 220 F with 3 hr Pecan and the bacon in its own smoke at 150 F with 3 hr Hickory.