• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Burnt Ends

Started by Batman of BBQ, March 08, 2010, 05:39:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Batman of BBQ

Decided to give burnt ends a try after receiving some great help from Pachanga on the subject.  I skipped (forgot) pics while prepping and smoking the brisket.  I figure we have all seen that before.  Here are the burnt ends.  My 8 year old niece was watching me bring the brisket inside to make the burnt ends and she asked "whats that" I said "brisket" and she replied "it looks burnt!" LOL

After smoking/cooking for 14 hours with an IT of 195* I separate the point from the flat.  I FTC the flat.

Just the point (and my finger)

I dice it up and back into the smoker for 4 hours at 210* with some rub and mop.  I kept the temp low since I'm still new to making burnt ends this way.  I figured this would be safe  ;D

While I waited for the burnt ends I whipped up some jalapeno corn.  This stuff is great!  I got the recipe from this site. (couldn't find the link, sorry)

After 4 hours the burnt ends were done enough for me!  They were very tasty!

Foil was only used to keep warm until serving.

Dinner!

This was a delicious dinner and my wife was impressed, which means she will allow me to make it again!  Thanks to all the gurus, especially Pachanga, on this forum  that helped make this a success!

Don't want to be the best in the world, just the best in my neighborhood.

1 OBS, Nuff Said

MPTubbs

Looking mighty tasty!

Looks like I need to make some burnt ends with my next brisket.

Nice job Batman!
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

OU812

Those are some good lookin eats Batman.

I do the same thing with the point.

banditto1969

me likes.  I always wondered if anybody else uses a small pan to catch the drippings rather than let them get wasted in the water pan. 

It makes the best mopping sauce.

OU812

Quote from: banditto1969 on March 08, 2010, 07:21:25 AM
me likes.  I always wondered if anybody else uses a small pan to catch the drippings rather than let them get wasted in the water pan. 

It makes the best mopping sauce.

and some killer gravy too.

SnellySmokesEm

I'll be over after work to get me some leftovers.  I'll bring the pastrami.   ;D
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

FLBentRider

Those burnt ends look good.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

seemore

Looks great, Batman!!!!
Mrs

classicrockgriller

Nice post and looks delicious..

Batman of BBQ

Thanks for the comments everyone!  It really turned out great! 

For anyone thinking about making burnt ends.....Pachangas post on burnt ends showed a method where he chopped the point into 4-5 large chunks, slathered and put back in the smoker.  This was done because the larger the chunk of meat the better the moisture is retained.  I can attest to that after making these.  The larger chunks (like the one pictured above) were significantly more moist than the smaller ones.  Next time I will cut the point into bigger chunks then dice up after the second round of cooking/smoking.

-Batman
Don't want to be the best in the world, just the best in my neighborhood.

1 OBS, Nuff Said

Pachanga

Batman,

Nice work.  I'll bet there was no bat signal needed to get help eating those.

I agree on the larger pieces but others like a little crispy critter.  With the larger pieces, you can cook them longer for an almost black burnt end.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

JF7FSU

Great pics and thanks for sharing.  I plan to do a Packer soon and will try to do the burnt ends.
Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone