• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

hot smoking in aply smoke house

Started by rch, May 04, 2005, 05:43:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rch

Just feeling my way around at present so apologises if this information is already posted

I have a Bradley smoke generator, and I am building a roughly 50 cubic feet ply smoke house.

I wish to use this primarily for cold smoking

<b><u>BUT</u></b> can I use this for hot smoking <b><u>IF SO</u></b>

what size element would suit and what temperature would you aim for.

My concern is the constuction material. Any advise welcome

MallardWacker

rc,

Wish I could help you, but I'm sure someone will chime in here.  Keep us informed....

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

manxman

Hi

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">My concern is the constuction material.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I am NOT an expert in this subject and a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing! [}:)][}:)]

However, a while ago I had an old boat to fix up, the hull was partially rotten and made of marine ply.

At the time I did a bit of research on plywood. The various glues that may be applied may use relatively innocuous substances like tannin or soybean through more dodgy substances like dried animal blood protein to nasty substances like phenol, formaldehyde and caustic soda.

Smoking produces phenols in any case so in effect you could get a double dose.[:(][:(] Formaldehyde is a very unpleasant substance.[}:)][}:)]

Personnally I would avoid plywood, particularly for hot smoking because the heat just may release more than you bargained for!! [}:)][}:)]

Manxman.
Manxman

Oldman

Thank you Manxman... you just saved me some time. [:D]

rch, if going to make it out of wood I suggest a hardwood... no pines etc. as well.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> have a Bradley smoke generator, and I am building a roughly 50 cubic feet ply smoke house....BUT can I use this for hot smoking IF SO what size element would suit and what temperature would you aim for<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

If I'm not mistaken cubic feet are square feet × height in feet, or L x W X H. With that said the internal cooking area of the Bradley is 2288 cu in. From the conversion calculator I use 2288 cu in = 1.3240735915188308 cu ft. The Bradley uses a 500 watt cooking element.

In a <b><font color="red">Insulated</font id="red"></b> Holding Cabinet such as this one in the picture below it requires 2000 watts to get to 200 F. Now keep in mind the food going into this type of box is already hot. This box is  45.2 cubic feet.

2000 watts requires 16.6 amps if you are using 120 volt power line. 2000 watts / 120 volts = 16.666666666 amps. Add the power for the generator 1.04 amps and you will either have to go to a 220V system or use gas.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Chez Bubba

rch,

Manx & Olds saved me a TON of time, all I have to say is I concur.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

JJC

Welcome to the Forum, Roger--glad to have another international member!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

rch

Many thanks for the responses to date - most appreciated. Must admit had not thought about the Aldehydes in Ply although I know they are lower now.

Rapidlly coming to the conclusion to convert my water smoker to electric and just have the bradley smoke generator for cold smoking

Must mention that timber in the UK is mortgage material so hardwood lining virtually impossible.[:(]

<u><b>Do you think that Ply is okay for the cold smoker operation?????</b></u>

UK uses 240V so no problem on that front

Life ain't never simple

manxman

Hi rch,

I would imagine that plywood would be safe for cold smoking as I think the problems would come when it (the glue) is exposed to heat.

The ideal material would be hardwood as Oldman said. However, as you say, it is very expensive here in the UK!!

I would also imagine softwood would be OK for cold smoking and that is cheap. However, as Oldman pointed out, it is not suitable for hot smoking.

At least softwood is a natural product unlike plywood so there are no glues to worry about.

The other alternative is to find an old fridge or something similar of the required size which is I think what Bradley quote in their blurb.

Obviously plastic interior ones would only be suitable for cold smoking but at work we have stainless steel exterior / aluminium interior fridges which would be suitable for either hot or cold smoking. If you have a contact in the catering business they may be able to locate such an item.

You would'nt want one of our old ones... I am in a different line of business!! (Pathology Laboratory)[}:)]

Hope this is of some help,

Manxman.
Manxman

Oldman

If you get a box from the food industry make sure it is a double walled insulated box. There are single walled non-insulating boxes around that are used for proofing... these will require a lot in order to make them work well.

Also if you purchase a used box make sure to check out the door hinges and the door handle--that it all closes tight!

<hr noshade size="1"><hr noshade size="1"><hr noshade size="1"><b>Must mention that timber in the UK is mortgage material so hardwood lining virtually impossible.</b><hr noshade size="1"><hr noshade size="1"><hr noshade size="1">

OUCHIE--real sorry to hear that!  

This might be a lot of work but I KNOW that a converted water smoker is not going to give you what a Bradley style smoker can.

What about a ply box that before you put it together, but after you cut to size you line it using a thin sheet of aluminum, and once the box is put together seal the seams with food grade sealer? I would then add a layer of insulation to the outside and then another layer of plywood. Yes this is a lot of work; however, in the end you will have something that will serve you for years and will give you the best that any styled Bradley can do.  Certainly a whole lot more than a converted water smoker.

Good Luck!

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

humpa

rch....Maybe I can help you out. I built my own smoker, because I needed something bigger than the BS. Now I'm doing a bigger smoker. It is 6 feet tall, 3 feet wide and 3 feet deep. That is 54 cubic feet. The smoke generator is perfect for this size. The heat is supplied by a propane freestanding burner. (54,000 BTU) It works great!! The company is "Afterburner.com". I also have a temp regulator which keeps it at 205 deg. Find yourself a food warmer from a stainless scrap dealer. It might cost you 50 bucks. Thru all the modifications, mistakes, time and cost that I have put into my smokers, I can  probably help you out. Email me if you like for anything you have questions on. Good luck!!!!

Ernie....Weymouth, MA