• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Some day soon I hope to join the ranks

Started by Sailor, April 06, 2010, 01:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailor

I started smoking turkeys, brisket and pork shoulders back in the 1970's using the cheap 2 rack round charcoal smokers.  I even used my propane 4 burner grill to smoke my ribs, brisket and shoulders by moving them to the cold side and having 1 burner on low.  The meat seemed to always come out very tender and juicy and I guess I never really knew there was any other way to smoke meats unless you spent thousands on a commercial smoker. 

I had been thinking of trying my hand at making some sausage and in my research I found this forum.  I have been reading the threads for the past few days and I am amazed at the knowledge out there.  It shows that I have really been missing the boat for the last 30 some years.

I plan to purchase the OBS and after reading the forums will most likely be getting PID to go with it.  I can't wait to make some maple-cured bacon, beef snacks, sausage and the other goodies.  The photos that you guy and gals post really show the love that you have for the hobby and I guess it has become a way of life for most of you.

I am not sure when I will be able to spring for the smoker but will start to rat hole some funds so hopefully it will not be long.  Being self-employed in this economy does tend to make a person pinch a penny or two.

Just wanted to say "howdy" and tell you all that I have truly enjoyed reading the recipes and seeing the photos.  Perhaps one day soon I will be able to share my adventures with you all.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

watchdog56

Welcome Sailor. You will find out there is a lot of help here on these boards and good luck to you. Hint- once you start you get addicted.

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Up In Smoke

Welcome Sailor,
Till you get your Bradley you can always run what ya brung :D
We have many different ways to burn up some grub! :)
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

OU812

Welcome to the fun Sailor.

Nothing says you have to have a Bradley to participate here.

I still have my round smoker, in the barn. Havent used it sense I got my Bradley.

Gave my other smokers to friends and my brother has my vault smoker.

KevinG

Welcome to the forum Sailor, heck we'll even sample your food for you.  ;D
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

ArnieM

Hi Sailor and welcome to the forum.  Yep, you can certainly spend thousands but I'm not sure how much better the result might be, probably 'easier' though.

Doing up your own bacon, maple, hickory or otherwise is a real kick.  I (we) can't believe how good it is compared to the store-bought stuff.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

MPTubbs

If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

KyNola

Welcome Sailor.  Lots of good folks on here that have a common bond, smoking food.

3rensho

Welcome Sailor.  Once you've made your own bacon you'll never go for store bought again.  It is addictive  ;D
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.