suggestions for a small 1.5# brisket

Started by rmdodson, April 12, 2010, 07:19:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmdodson

Hello all,

As I stated in my other topic, I've got a 4 day weekend from work so there's plenty of time to kick up the smoker   ;D

I got a small brisket (1 1/2 #) which I want to smoke. I've never fixed a brisket, much less smoked one. Need some tips for smoking a small brisket. I was thinking of putting it in the smoker on the top shelf or on the rack under whatever you guys recommend I use for the shredded beef from my other topic. Do I slather it with some CYM & a dry rub? What temp (internal & smoker) do I use? Guesstimations on time? Will be using mesquite for the smoke.

Thanks

FLBentRider

Does the brisket have a fat cap or is it one of those "market trimmed" briskets?

If it is the trimmed one I would cure it and make pastrami. Those trimmed ones are hard to keep moist.

I used the WTS rub from the recipe site on my last brisket, it was great. I did not slather.

For smoking, I use 205F until an IT of 190F or higher - I used four hours of Oak, I have used four hours of Mesquite as well.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

rmdodson

Quote from: FLBentRider on April 12, 2010, 07:27:28 AM
Does the brisket have a fat cap or is it one of those "market trimmed" briskets?

FLB, they folded it up when they packaged it & it's still frozen. It's from a 1/2 free range beef that I bought from a guy at work. They butchered with the calf small & hanging weight was only 500#. Unless they folded it with the fat cap to the inside, it does not appear to have one. There is alot of marbling though.

FLBentRider

Quote from: rmdodson on April 12, 2010, 07:42:47 AM
Quote from: FLBentRider on April 12, 2010, 07:27:28 AM

FLB, they folded it up when they packaged it & it's still frozen. It's from a 1/2 free range beef that I bought from a guy at work. They butchered with the calf small & hanging weight was only 500#. Unless they folded it with the fat cap to the inside, it does not appear to have one. There is alot of marbling though.

I haven't done (a trimmed) one myself, but I have witnessed some failures here with them.

With the marbling you should be ok, maybe put some bacon on the rack above it.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

With the marbling you can see I think it should be fine.

I would cook the brisket on the shelf below the chuck so the brisket can get a nice shower of the juices from the chuck.

I also smoke brisket with 4 hr Oak.

I have done it with messy wood but that was years ago, dont even have it in my inventory any more, kinda bitter to me.

I cook at a cabnet temp of 220 F and about 1 1/2 hr per pound.