• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

granulated salt?

Started by watchdog56, April 30, 2010, 03:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

watchdog56

I have the Rytek Kutas Great Sausage recipe 4th edition book and they have in their recipes granulated salt. Is this the same stuff that comes from Morton in the blue container and just does not say Iodized on it? I know I am not supposed to use Iodized salt and they say there is a difference between granulated salt and kosher salt but I just cannot find anything on granulated salt(if there is a difference) anywhere,even on Morton's site.

classicrockgriller

gran·u·late (grny-lt)
v. gran·u·lat·ed, gran·u·lat·ing, gran·u·lates
v.tr.
1. To form into grains or granules.
2. To make rough and grainy.
v.intr.
To become granular or grainy.

Think they are referring to the size probably for measuring purposes.

A course grind will have move air space and not measure the same.

KevinG

Any salt is fine (except iodized or sea salt, these will alter the flavor). You do need to be careful and use weight not volume for measurements.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Habanero Smoker

Granulated or granular salt if referring to the grain size. In generally terms it refers grain size for table salt; pickling salt; canning salt; or pure salt. But in commercial use, there a various sizes grains for granulated salt; from fine to coarse.

But as Kevin has pointed out, when in doubt weigh the salt. Did he give a weight equivalent? I haven't come across that term in his book. Can you point to the recipe(s) that ingredient is used in?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

watchdog56

It is in most sausage recipes. In his book Great Sausage recipes and meat curing-4th edition on page 157 it states"It is of extreme importance to note that all the recipes and formulas in this book are based on the usage of granulated salt."

OU812

I have that book and have made many of the recipes in there.

I take the "granulated salt" to be table salt with NO iodine.

Have not had anything come out too salty.

Habanero Smoker

I think I have found the wording that watchdog was referring to in his post. In the "Ingredients Permissible for Meat Processing" chapter, Rytek gives a description of Salt. In the first paragraph he describes the common forms that salt comes in; "....flake, rock or granulated forms." So it is being used to describe any ground salt from very fine through the largest grind. He uses pure salt (canning or pickling salt) in all his recipes, unless he notes otherwise.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)