• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Corned Beef into Pastrami

Started by Johnny Guitar, April 26, 2010, 12:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Guitar

Hi All,

I've been reading a number of weeks on how to make pastrami from corned beef.  This weekend I did it and the result were phenomenal.  I made 3 briskets and already two have been consumed.  If any one wants to make pastrami but they are intimidated by curing their briskets for a number of weeks, this recipe/process is for you.

I bought my corned beef at costco.

Unpackage and rinse the briskets (throw away the spice packets)
Soak the briskets in cold water for 3 hours, changing the water every hour.  (When I do this again I will probably go for 4-5 hours)
Apply rub:

3 T black pepper corns
2 T coriander seeds
3 T paprika
2 T mustard seed
4 T brown sugar

Cold smoke 3 hours with apple.  (I used a digital Bradley and just didn't turn on the cabinet, the cabinet temp was around 95f.  I put ice in the water bowl.)

When the smoke was done.  I steamed the pastrami for 1.5 hours until an internal temp of 170f.  (all i did was use a vegetable steamer insert in a big stock pot.)

I took it out and sliced it, the juice flowed out.  We made Rueben "pastrami sandwiches" immediately. 

Cheers,

ArnieM

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

BuyLowSellHigh

I have mastered regular corned beef brisket (had one last night), but have not yet converted one of those into pastrami.  It's on my list.

For anyone interested Alton Brown did a show on making corned beef, and it works very well.  One Caution his recipe calls for 2 tablespoons of saltpeter (potassium nitrate).  That is about 3X the amount that is needed and 2X the maximum amount allowed by USDA guidelines for immersion curing.  It takes 10 days - here's a link to his recipe (it is outstanding), just adjust the saltpeter down to 2 teaspoons.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/corned-beef-recipe/index.html
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here