• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Deer Pastrimi

Started by Wingman, April 29, 2010, 06:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingman

I tried Habs beef pastrami and it was absolutely fantastic. I have 5 small deer roasts brining in the same recipe and was wondering if anybody could tell me how long to smoke and to what internal temp I should do? Was reading that deer should be wrapped in bacon to help from drying out and was wondering if bacon would change the flavor of the pastrami recipe. Thanks

Tenpoint5

Wingman,
I just did a venison ham, it was in the smoker for 29 hours. No bacon it was very juicy not dry at all. It did have a small thin crust but nothing I am worried about barely notice it.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

The bacon will slightly change the flavor, but I don't believe it will be that much, since the venison is already cured. It will depend on what type of bacon; i.e. Maple smoked, hickory smoked, not smoked etc.

I haven't cooked venison in a long time, so I'm not familiar with that meat, but I don't think I would take it to 165°F as I would a brisket.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wingman

Thanks Hab your recipe is soooooooooooooooooooo good I had to try it on some venison I had . What int temp do you think I should smoke to? Again Thanks for all the great recipes.

Tenpoint5

I would suggest 148-152º
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Wingman on April 30, 2010, 04:23:30 AM
Thanks Hab your recipe is soooooooooooooooooooo good I had to try it on some venison I had . What int temp do you think I should smoke to? Again Thanks for all the great recipes.

Thanks. I would go with 10.5's suggestion. He is familiar with venison.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)