• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pastrami cure time?

Started by GusRobin, April 27, 2010, 05:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

Have a 6# brisket flat in the fridge curing since Sunday. Using Hab's cure recipe (MTQ, sugar, pepper.) Planned on smoking it on Sat, but may not be able to do it then. Will it last to the following week? (it would be in the fridge for 14 days)
thanks
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

drewpatton

I just had the same dilemma last week. I took it out of the cure after the 4 days and rinsed and soaked in cold water for an hour changing the water after 30 mins. I then applied dry rub and let air dry for 12 hours.  At this point I would have smoked and steamed it, but I had to wait an extra week! So I sealed them up in the fridge and did them on this last Saturday. It was excellent!

FLBentRider

It will last, I have had the same dilemma.

I cure them a week, especially if it is thicker brisket.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

A week after removing it from the cure is pushing it. To be safe I would wrap it tightly or vacuum seal and freeze it until you are ready to smoke/cook it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

GusRobin

Hab- I haven't removed it from the cure yet. I put it in the 2 gallon baggie with the cure on last Saturday. If I left it in the baggie (with cure) for 2 weeks would that be okay? Or should I remove, rinse it, and freeze it?

Thanks
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

Habanero Smoker

A two week cure will make your pastrami too salty. I not sure if soaking will help at that point, without using a long soak, which may draw out most of the flavor with the salt.

I would remove it from the cure either Friday or Saturday. I've never held a cured uncooked pastrami for more then 3 days after removing it from the cure. Maybe if you vacuum sealed it, it would be alright in the refrigerator; but I'm leaning to freezing it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

GusRobin

thanks for the input. Maybe I'll just smoke in the garage. Need to hurry up and finish my Bradley shelter so I  don't need to worry about the weather.