• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

PID control idea

Started by DarqMan, May 07, 2010, 08:37:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarqMan

After reading the instructions to my PID an idea came to mind.  I'm sure others have had this same idea so thought I'd throw it out for discussion.  It would be really cool if the Auber PID had an USB port on the back.  Then, a desktop application could be developed that would enable a user to program the various steps using a graphical user interface (GUI) and download the settings to the device. 

One of the advantages of doing this would be the ability to save "recipes" or "profiles" and update the device with the saved parameters.  This means you could have a program for "salmon", "pork butt", "brisket", etc...

Hopefully I'm not the only one who thinks this makes sense.  I left an email for Auber and they didn't seem to have any interest, they just said "we don't support this". Well.... duh.  I know that.

What are your thoughts?
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

classicrockgriller

STC has had a vision too.

Maybe he will chime in.

Quarlow

The whole world(of bradley smokers) is waiting with baited breath for something like this. Bring it on.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

DarqMan

Well, if the Auber had an USB port with a protocol to accept external commands I could put somthing together.  But since the hardware doesn't support it, it's nothing more than a dream.... but some dreams come true :-)
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: DarqMan on May 07, 2010, 08:46:12 PM
Well, if the Auber had an USB port with a protocol to accept external commands I could put somthing together.  But since the hardware doesn't support it, it's nothing more than a dream.... but some dreams come true :-)

I'm a dream believer.

Habanero Smoker

There are some devices like that already on the market. The one that comes to mind is CyberQ II and I believe with the right hardware you can have a wireless reception. There are others, but the name slips my memory at this time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pensrock

The Honeywell programmable temperature controllers we use at work can save recipies. I think some can save up to 99. However you would not like the prices.  :)