Jerky.

Started by Oldman, January 30, 2010, 10:49:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

I've made a many batch of beef jerky. However, the last two efforts I used the Bradley. The stuff was a total failure.

Any suggestions.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

RAF128

How were they a failure?  I used to do them in a dehydrator but then I had to add liquid smoke.  I've done several batches in the bradley and they turn out fine.      IMO you can't have the smoker too hot.   You're trying to dry the meat not cook it.   I set my DBS to 190 and smoke for about 3 hrs.   I keep the vent wide open.   Usually at about 4 hrs or sooner I'll check it.   It should bend but not break.  Some rotate the racks but I don't.    Some remove the water that catches the used bisquettes.  Again I don't.   

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Oldman on January 30, 2010, 10:49:12 AM
I've made a many batch of beef jerky. However, the last two efforts I used the Bradley. The stuff was a total failure.

Any suggestions.

Raye
First off you know vent is full open. Start with 140* heat and 3-5 pucks. Water is up to you, if you want moist jerky leave water, dry take out water. Most of us do jerky for the 3-5 pucks and then dehydrate. I have done a full Bradley smoke too. When i do this i use my power vent.

Like said 140* bumping 10* every 1.5 hours until you reach 180*  Try not to exceed 180* or you will start cooking the jerky.

I know you seen all my pics so i wont go to heavy into it.

Indy Smoker

The best way I found to make Jerky is this:
I use the LEM seasoning (either reg or hot) add in about 2/3 -1 cup 'fresh' ground peppercorns
I tumble the mixture of 2 cups water in my Reveo vacuum tumbler for 20 mins.  When I take the meat out to place on the dryer racks there is NO water left it all gets sucked into the meat.
I have a 4 rack digital, so I have 4 extra racks and invert to double cooking space.
Cook at 200 for 6 hrs with the vent wide open.
I usually set things up at night and start around 11 PM-12 AM, the timer shuts off after 6 hours and the meat starts to cool.  When I get to it at 7 or 8 the next morning I simply take off the racks and bag  & fridge.
The vacuum tumbler forces the seasoning in the meat and it is better than any store bought product you can find.  (all my Family/Friends agree) I also use the Hi temp screens from Yard & Pool which are another big help.

Oldman

Thanks for the info....
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!