• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

extra racks

Started by Klondikesmoker, May 11, 2010, 07:56:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Klondikesmoker

I have the 6BDS.  I need to add extra racks for jerky.  Is 12 extra racks to many?  i am thinking it would be to crowded to properly smoke and dry the jerky.  But boy could you do a lot of jerky with 18 racks.  Anyone try all  18 racks?   I ahve the extra heat element so heat recovery would not be a problem.  Klondikesmoker

FLBentRider

I think CRG has done the 18 rack thing.

I would think you would need to rotate racks top to bottom during the cook to get it done evenly.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Klondikesmoker

I am sure the rack rotating is still required.  just concerned there would be to much volume and not enuf room for the smoke and moisture to flow out.  Klondikesmoker

FLBentRider

That is a bunch of moisture to get rid of.

We'll have to talk CRG into doing a big load of jerky. He can be your "beta" tester.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Klondikesmoker

It would be nice to find out.  I need to order the extra rack kit from Smokeandstuff just not sure which kit to order.  Klondikesmoker

squirtthecat

Even if you didn't use all the racks at once, having the flexibility of moving the other racks exactly where you want them, is worth the price of admission...

I'm going to get the 6 rack kit for my OBS.

Klondikesmoker

So your saying no such thing at too many racks?  I see your point, nothing says I have to fill all the racks.  Guess that tells me what I have to do.  Klondikesmoker.

RAF128

I'd like to know how you'd get 18 racks in a 6 rack smoker.   I can see putting 6 in the regular way and 6 more inverted.    That's 12.    Where do you put the last 6?

Klondikesmoker

If I understand the posts I have read you install 12 more rails (2 between each existing rails) and then 12 more racks all right side up.  Klondikesmoker

OU812

Klondike nailed it.

Havent done jerky YET but have done snack sticks and you do have to rotate and turn bout every hr and dump the water bowl when the smoke is done , put back empty and keep that vent WIDE open theres allot of condensation goin on in there.

RAF128

Putting in extra rail would do it but without doing that then 12 is the max.    I don't use my racks when I do stick.   I use dowling on the top rail and they're hung making sure none touch each other

Klondikesmoker

Yes 12 would be the max without putting in more rails.  And you have to flip the second set of racks on top of the original racks.  This becomes a real pain in the azz when rotating racks.  this is the reason for putting in the extra rails.  Klondikesmoker

OU812

RAF128, the dowels do just fine with smaller batches but when your trying to do 15 to 20 lb of sticks you dont have enough room using the dowels.

Also what Klondikesmoker said.

Bout time to make some more, the girls at the ball games are runnin me low.

RAF128

Quote from: OU812 on May 11, 2010, 01:12:25 PM
RAF128, the dowels do just fine with smaller batches but when your trying to do 15 to 20 lb of sticks you dont have enough room using the dowels.

Also what Klondikesmoker said.

Bout time to make some more, the girls at the ball games are runnin me low.

True enough.   I don't make that many at one time.   Never did like shuffling racks.   All that time spent with the door open mean a lot of lost heat and smoke and extra recovery time.   But that's just me.   If I have a big enough batch I'd prefer to do 2 batches.

OU812

Good point RAF128, but with the shelfs like this its much easier to do the shuffling and one large batch even with the lost heat and smoke and extra recovery time its still faster than 2 smaller cooks.

But thats just me.  ;D

Its all good, to each there own, keep the smoke rollin buddy.