Wife bought me a gun.

Started by dribron, May 13, 2010, 08:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dribron

So my wife brought me home a jerkey gun, and I am thinking of giving a go in a day or go. I have a few questions..
  * Is it best to start and finnish in the smoker, or better to start in the smoker then finnish off in dehydrator?
  * Is the temp range I should be shooting for around 140 the whole time, or should I start at a lower or higher temp?
  * About how many hours of smoke do you give it?

I guess that's it for now, but may have more questions latter.. as this is something new for me.
   Oh any jerky recipes you might want to donate would be apriciated..

KyNola

I start mine in the smoker and then head to the dehydrator.  My Excalibur dehydrator runs at 155 for jerky.  I bought a jerky cannon and am pretty sure I've never had the opportunity to use it because my wife took one look at it and said "can I try that?".  She is a pro at using that thing to extrude jerky.

dribron

How many hours of smoke do you give it?

RAF128

I've started it in a smoker and finished in the dehydrator.   It was good.   I've started and finished in the smoker.    It's good too.    I've also done jerky completely in the dehydrator but for that I've added a little liquid smoke to my spices.
Time depends on the temp of the devise, how thick your meat and how wet it was.    You should watch it.   You want it dried but not so much that it breaks.   Should bend. 

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: dribron on May 13, 2010, 08:25:49 PM
How many hours of smoke do you give it?

1 to 2 hours of smoke. GB  jerky will work different than strip jerky.

drewpatton

Im glad you asked this question. I am getting a jerky gun this weekend and am interested in what everyone has to say!

dribron

I plan on mixing it up today, and if possible getting it started. If not tomarow for sure as I am looking forward to tasting some homemade jerky. The only real thing that may be stopping me from making it today is that I'd like to do a chuckie for dinner.. So I may start it in smoker with the chuckie at about 150 or so for an hour to an hour and a half, then move the jerky to dehydrator, and turn the OBS up to 210 or so for the chuckie. It will take a bit longer for the chuck, but at least I will not have wasted smoke.. kinda like hitting that second bird with the same stone ... lol

classicrockgriller

put your chuckie below your jerky so you you don't get chuckie rain on your jerky. ;D

OU812

I have a Jerky Blaster and love it.

Makes shootin jerky a breeze.

Some one makes a battery powered one, but cant remember who.

Quarlow

Could you take a metal stuffer tube and flatten it to extrude GB jerky like that?
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

OU812

Quote from: Quarlow on May 14, 2010, 12:43:32 PM
Could you take a metal stuffer tube and flatten it to extrude GB jerky like that?

You sure could, dont know how wide it would be though.

My jerky gun came with a single round, double round, single flat and double flat.