• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoker/heater. on/off?

Started by Osibisa, May 27, 2005, 09:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Osibisa

Hi.
I got my BS this morning and I am in the process of seasoning it. Having looked through some recipes I have noticed that a lot of them say to turn the smoker off after a couple of hours and continue the cooking in the Bradley without smoke. It seems to me that if I turn the Smoker off the power to the tower goes off as well. Should I invest in a separate supply cord for the tower? Perhaps by stop smoking you mean don't put any more bisquitts in? If so the element on the smoker will be on as well as the one in the tower?[:)]

manxman

Hi Osibisa,

It just means don't put any more bisguittes in, typically people smoke food for no longer than 4 hours (12 bisquittes) although there may be some exceptions.However, the food may require cooking for several hours longer than it needs smoking.

A separate power cord should not be used, there are threads on this elsewhere on the forum.

The element on the smoker will still be on but as long as the temperature of the smoker itself and internal temperature of the food is monitored this is not an issue, it only becomes an issue when cold smoking food which again is covered elsewhere on the forum but the best thread is:

http://www.johnwatkins.co.uk/personalpages/coldsmoking.htm

welcome to the forum, nice to see someone else from this side of the pond.[:D]

Manxman.
Manxman

Osibisa

Thanks Manxman. All is understood. Did you see the other post of mine regarding half price Bisquettes? Well worth a look.

Peter

manxman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Did you see the other post of mine regarding half price Bisquettes?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hi Peter,

No, missed that. Could you post details!? [:D][:D]

You will see that some people use (2 or 3)aluminium pucks at the end of the bisquette pile so that when they have finished burning all the remnants of the wood is pushed into the water bath and a) it saves wasting a couple of pucks each time you smoke. b) stops the last puck on the smoker element burning beyond 20 minutes and c) means there is less ingrained mess to clean off the element!The element stays a lot cleaner this way.

The Bradley version is only available in the US through Chez Bubba, he was kind enough to supply me with three and ship them to the UK for me.... total cost was £20 odd, however others have home-made versions that appear to work equally well.

Those and a food thermometer were the most useful additions I bought in addition to the BS itself. Just feed the probe in through the vent on the top of the unit and stick it in the food to measure internal temperature.

have fun...............[:D]

Manxman.
Manxman

manxman

Hi Peter,

Just found the thread on half price bisquettes, presumably you have to visit the factory outlets and can't buy them on the internet?

Bit difficult living here on the Isle of Man..... BUMMER!![:(][:(]

Manxman.
Manxman

Osibisa

If you get the telephone number og their head office they will get them sent to you from the shops.

Peter

Osibisa

Hi again Manxman
I have Aluminium stock and a large lathe at home. I might knock myself a couple of "Pucks" up , as long as Chez Bubba don't mind!!!

manxman

Hi Peter,

Nah, he won't mind as long as you don't go into competition marketing them!!!![:D]

They are identical in size and shape to the bisquettes.

Thanks for the information regarding half price supplies.

Paul

Manxman.
Manxman

Oldman

Just a word to say Welcome to this place. We would really like any proven recipe you have posted to share!

Cya on these forums!

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Osibisa

Hiya Olds,
Only cooked one chicken!!! No recipies yet hehe. I will post picture of my first attempt tomorow, along with comments from family..

Peter.[;)]