• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

FTC

Started by Osibisa, May 27, 2005, 09:55:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Osibisa

What does it actually do?[:)]

nsxbill

The standing time in foil actually,according to the experts I have read, breaks down the collagen a bit more and makes the meat more tender.  I was skeptical until I tried it.  Try it.  I always wrap pork butt, ribs and brisket in saran, foil, beach towel and into the Coleman type cooler for 2 hours.  The meat, even after 6 hrs will still be very hot, so no worries about bacteria.  It is like butter when it comes out!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Osibisa

Thanks Bill. I will try it. I was a little worried about "Bugs" thats all. Sorry to be such a nubie!

Peter

MallardWacker

Peter,

There is not a dumb questions here when it comes to the BS.

If you use a typical type cooler you use for a picnic and several towls you will have no problem.  I bet you will be amazed on how long the meat will stay REALLY HOT.  One word of caution, keep the lid of the cooler shut until you need the meat.  HTH

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Habanero Smoker

Also, according to an article in Cooks Illustrated, if you add about 2 TBS to 1/4 cup of liquid (such as apple juice, beef broth or what ever you choose), the meat will absorb most if not all of that liquid, as the meat cools down.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

MallardWacker

Great point Hab.  BigSmoker got me to do that with apple juice with my butts and briskets.  It does make a difference.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

JJC

Definetly agree with Hab and MMW---BigSmoker advised me to add 1/4 cup or so of apple juice or other tasty liqid to butts and briskets and it definitely makes a difference!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

owrstrich

every bovine and porcine and foul that gave its soul for the bradley deserves the ftc... its really is the least i can do for the cause...

letting them rest makes me feel good about the finality of it all...

that ftc really freaks me out...

more later...

owrstrich

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by owrstrich</i>
<br />

every bovine and porcine and foul that gave its soul for the bradley deserves the ftc... its really is the least i can do for the cause...

letting them rest makes me feel good about the finality of it all...

that ftc really freaks me out...

more later...

owrstrich<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

owrstrich---too funy.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

bsolomon

The other purpose of this technique is to let the juices in the meat settle after cooking.  When you heat meat, the juices  get forced out of the tissue.  If you carve immediately, all of them will just run out into a puddle on your cutting board.  Letting the meat rest for even as little as 10 minutes before carving will help solve this problem, and helps keep the meat moist and tender.  I think this is the real justification for the FTC.

Phone Guy

I FTC'd some ribs on Monday. They finished sooner than I had estimated. I took them out of the BS at noon and wrapped in foil and a heavy beach town then into a cooler. We ate at 6:00 PM and they were perfect eating temp. and delicious. I'm sold.

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bsolomon</i>
<br />The other purpose of this technique is to let the juices in the meat settle after cooking.  When you heat meat, the juices  get forced out of the tissue.  If you carve immediately, all of them will just run out into a puddle on your cutting board.  Letting the meat rest for even as little as 10 minutes before carving will help solve this problem, and helps keep the meat moist and tender.  I think this is the real justification for the FTC.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

You hit the nail on the head[:D][8D]. IMO.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.