• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Onion Soup

Started by Jerry Lee, May 27, 2005, 11:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry Lee

What is best type beef stock to use in the onion soup? Is there a
brand that is the best?
I have had great success with my BS My wife is happy I bought a BS.
                          Thanks again
                           Jerry Lee

Jerry

Oldman

Greeting Jerry,

Welcome to this place.

I only make my own stock. While I do use can stuff for some items...stock is not one of them.

If you want to do stock from scratch then let me know and I will write down what I do... Otherwise as far as can stuff goes I cannot help you.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

hello, its hard to find real good store bought beef stock, in a pinch mix beef stock and canned beef consume ( its in with the soup cans) it will give you what you are looking for a deep dark onion soup, dont use a beef broth its just a watered down beef stock, also i have made this recipe
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_156,00.html

Bad Flynch

Make your own stock if you cherish good soups, I do. It is a relatively simple process, but a little time consuming.

B.F.
B.F.

Jerry Lee

Thanks for the info,I want to make the soup today using Tsquared,s
recipe.
So I'll use store bought today and try Smokehouse Rob's  suggestion,
and try scratch in the future.

Thanks again

Jerry

MallardWacker

Jerry,

I'm the odd man out here, I use Swanson.  Please don't send the FoodTV black helicopters on me.  You get it WalMart.  I use two BOX packages in mine.  ALSO USE HEAVY CREAM--man o'man this will make a differance.  I have done it with milk and with cream---CREAM hands down.  I think the second most important thing is your reduction, do what it says and reduce it to a jelly type consistancy.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

kjel

This onion soup sound soooo good.  If I quarter these onions and smoke them for 1hr.  Will I be able to slice them thinner when I make my soup or are they too mushy for slicing after smoking?

JJC

Welcome to the Forum, Jerry!  Don't be a stranger . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

BigSmoker

I use the kind from Sam's when times at a premium.  It's like a paste and is Tone's brand.  Like MW said heavy cream will make a big difference as well.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

psdubl07

I made another batch of the soup last night for our feast today.  Man is this stuff tasty.
When I don't have time to make my own stock, I use Pacific brand found in the natural section of the grocery store.

8 1/2 lbs of brisket in the Bradley right now.  Getting the Oak/Hickory treatment! [:p]

Jerry Lee

I used MallardWAcker's suggestion to use the Swanson beef broth
from Wally World and the soup was GREAT!!
Next time I may try with no cream at all as the soup was so rich!
I did the onoins with a butt using Pecan and all came out wonderful.
I love this Bradley!!!
         Thanks again for all the info

Jerry