• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Bradley Thermometer

Started by eightball, May 29, 2005, 02:13:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eightball

I just finished preheating my Bradley for a Brisket. I use the Guru and had the Guru Pit Thermometer on the 3rd shelf and it read 260^, The Bradley Thermometer was reading 300^. My question is this, " which do you trust?". My inclination is to go with the guru/raptor combo since it is controlling the settings and reading the meat temp. Is this an uncommon occurence for Bradley thermos and say perhaps the Maverick?
Would appreciate any feedback as Mr. Brisket is now smoking away.
Thanks
Jay  [8]

oguard

The thermometer on the door is not accurate you can trust your guru rapter from what I hear they are pretty good

Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

Habanero Smoker

Go by the reading on the Guru. The BS has several temperature zones, so whether or not the door temperature is accurate, the placement of the guru sensor, it is generally the sensor that is closest to the zone your meat is located.

If you need to calibrate the guru, go to Fred's site. On the home page, scroll towards the bottom. There you will see a link to download the guru manual. That will have instructions to calibrate it. http://www.thebbqguru.com/index.htm

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

JJC

The Guru probe will definitely be more accurate (or put another way, is much less likely to be defective).  If you're owrried about your Guru probe, dip it some boiling water and make sure the temp reads very close to 212F.  Assuming ti does, you might try a test putting your guru probe just an inch or so away from the BS door probe sometime.  If they differ by more than about 10-15F when the BS in the 250F range, I would call Bradley and ask them to send you another door thermometer.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Habanero Smoker

Although the accuracy of the guru is tested by inserting the probes into boiling water, the guru does not have a digital read out, so users should go to the manual to see how to test, and if necessary calibrate the temperatures of both probes.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)