• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

newbie questions

Started by KurtI, May 31, 2005, 07:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KurtI

I have had my BS for about 3 weeks now.  I have done 2 briskets and about 10 slabs of ribs and 2 ckickens.  Yesterday I started my 9.51 pound brisket at 8:00am and then at 2:00 I added 6 slabs if baby backs.  It took approx 2.5 hours for the temp to get back up to 200 degrees F after I added the ribs.  I left the door closed and the flu closed as well.  After I have read some other posts I believe that it may be the thermometer in the door.  Also when smoking with meat in all of the racks is there a certain order in which they should go?  Ribs on top or bottom.  I also have found that there are some temp differences throught the BS that may come into play when I have it filled with meat.  thanks everyone for the great topics and replys.

Organ donation Saves Lives

JJC

Hi Kurt,

Welcome to the Forum.  You started with a pretty ambitious set of projects!  the more meat in the BS, the longer it will take to cook.  Adding 6 slabs of ribs (I'm guessing another 15-18 pounds) just about tripled the mass of meat in the smoker, with 2/3 of it being room temp or colder.  Taking a couple of hours to get back to 200F doesn't sound that bad.  I'd invest $40 in a Maverick ET-73 remote cabinet/meat temp probe and check it out against your door thermometer.  As for rack order, the cabinet temp will be hotter at the bottom than the top, so the meats that need to cook longer or at hotter temps shold be on the bottom racks.  I'd also consider always leaving the damper (flu) cracked open about 1/8 to 1/4 even if you're trying to reach higher temps just to avoid smoke escaping out the door and possible messy condensation issues.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

psdubl07

As John suggests, I would invest in a Maverick ET-73.  Most Bradley owners find the door thermo is incorrect. (If you do a search, you will find many threads regarding this topic)
Mine is generally off 20 degrees or so, although this weekend while I was doing brisket, my Maverick was telling me pit temp was 230 while the door thermo read about 175.  I really only use the Maverick for temp now and don't pay any attention to the door thermo.  The nice thing with the ET-73 is that it has two probes, so you simultaneously get a meat temp as well.

As far as what meat to put on which rack, generally I have found the lower racks to get more heat and less smoke, while the upper racks get the opposite.  Depending on what you're smoking, you may have to rotate racks a bit, not only top to bottom, but flip front to back as well because the backside (closed in end) gets more heat since the heating element is there.  Sometimes I also turn the meat over on the rack so the opposite side is on the bottom and thus getting more heat.
I usually do this around the 4 hour mark when the smoke is complete since I'm opening the door to change the water out anyway.  With a little practice, you can do this quickly and get the door shut again.

BigSmoker

One other thought would be to kick the slider over all the way to the right so you are producing as much heat as possible.  When you start to again reach target temp begin to adjust the slider back to the left until you stay steady at your target pit temp.  Also make sure you leave the puck burner plate on even if you are not applying smoke.  HTH.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

KurtI

Thanks for the great advice,  I will look into the maverick thermometer,   but I also have looked at the BBQguru competitor and the raptor.  anybody have any experience with this and their BS?

Organ donation Saves Lives

psdubl07

I do not have one myself as I couldn't really justify the extra money.  But I can see how people like them because it allows you to sit back and do nothing as far as controlling the pit temp.  If you do a forum search, you'll find many related threads here that will help you make a decision.

nsxbill

Kuri I

Here is a review: http://susan.rminor.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28

I think it will answer your questions.  I think it is great.  Just wrote the owner of the company asking if my Raptor controller will allow me to control temps on two Bradleys at once.  It is the one thing I suspect the ultimate BS of the future will include.  My warranty is about to expire, and I am going to add a Salamander element, and eventually a convection fan to the cabinet interior too.

Bill

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

bsolomon

The other issue I see here is the timing for the smoke.  If the brisket was already in and smoked for up to 6 hours before the ribs went in, was additional smoke then added for the ribs?  If so, the results for the brisket might not be good.  In any case, once the pores on the meat close, then you are only adding smoke to the surface of the meat, and not getting it into the meat.

Probably your best bet would be to start the brisket and ribs at the same time, share the smoke and heating, and once things get rolling the only thing you need to worry about is pulling the ribs out when they reach the right temperature.

JJC

I agree with BSolomon on the timing issue.  As for the Guru, I'd love to have one but the budget doesn't allow it right now.  I do just fine without it, but have to admit I'm a bit jealous of the guys that have one. [;)]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA