• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Red Chinese spice powder??

Started by Osibisa, June 02, 2005, 10:35:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Osibisa

Hi.
As sad as it might seem I do enjoy the taste of the pork ribs and meat that you can buy in the local supermarket, that has been subjected to a "Chinese red powder spice". I would like to know what the powder is, or consists of but all the butchers I ask are very tight lipped and will not disclose the secret. I have looked on the net for the answer but have not yet found it. i should imagine it is a variety of five spice powder but the deep red colour is not consistent with this mixture. Does anybody know what it is please..

Many thanks in adavnce.
Peter.

kjel

Hi,
The brand my mom uses is NOH chinese bbq seasoning mix.  You can also look up Char Siu powder.  Just add water.

BigSmoker

Just guessing but I would think it is a good quality paprika especially if it adds a little heat to the mixture.  Traditional 5 spice has no heat per say but mixes sweet bitter salty and pungent.  It would be worth trying the 5 spice with a hefty dose of paprika.  Worst case you have to eat some good ribs instead of great ribs.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Osibisa

Hi Kjel. Many thanks for the reply.

I must admit that I am a total twit sometimes!! I work for HP the computer people. I have for the last three years been working as an onsite engineer at a Company here in the UK called Geest. And guess what one of the things is they make!! Prepacked takeaway Chinese Meals!!! Dohhhhhhh.
I went to the labs/kitchens and the chef mixed me some of the elusive mixture in about 5 minutes... anybody want the recipe? It's so simple.

Peter

manxman

Hi Osibisa

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">anybody want the recipe?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yes please, alway s nice to have different things to try........[:D]

Manxman.
Manxman

Phone Guy

I have about a half dozen diffrent rub's in the cupboard right now, one more would be great.[:p]

nsxbill

Love to have the recipe....you won't have any assasins hunting you down for spilling the beans will you? [:D] [:D]

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Osibisa

Well it was really simple. The chef guy who mixed it up said that the red colour was nothing to do with the flavour it was just a colourant and the mix comprised of just five spice powder, sugar, MSG, salt and colour and that's it! Sorry it's not mind blowingly different but that's it and it really goes well on pork.

Peter

nsxbill

A recipe involves portions that are measured!  What portions do you when you whip out a batch?

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Osibisa

Hi Bill,
Sorry about the lack of information but it was my first contribution.
The quantities invlolved were very simply as follows:

A measure of fivespice
A Pinch of MSG
A measure of sugar
And colour to suit... He really only put a very small amount of colouring in it but it seemed to go a long way!

As I said.. Nothing very exciting but it did the job..
Peter.