• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New Forum for "Big Sales/Deep Discounts"?

Started by JJC, June 01, 2005, 06:07:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJC

Hi Chez,

Hope you enjoyed the Indy 500 weekend!  Sure was exciting on TV, though I only got to see the last half live because of my son's graduation.

As you're catching up on the forum posts, you may notice that I had started a new topic in this particular Forum called "Big Sales/Deep Discounts" (http://bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1679).  The basic quote from my post was:

"Hi All,

I was just wondering if there is any value in a topic that is devoted to listing food or smoking/grilling accessories that seem to be an especially good value. The idea is to have one Topic that members could check each week or so to look for bargains instead of having such posts spread out all over the place.

I would like to avoid "price comparisons" on items like the BS or wood pucks or other items that are sold by Bradley, Chez, BigSmoker, and other regulars on the Forum.

However, in the past few weeks we have had members post really useful "sale items" that range from chicken-on-a-throne racks to meat and veggie prices to vacuum sealer and sausage maker units. However, these posts are spread out all over the place and not always easy to find or identify based on the topic title.

If we want to do this, the posts need to be as specific as possible including naming the store, website, etc. I realize that many of these posts will be quite regional (like my sample post to follow, or Habs recent post on peppers at $1.99/lb in the Northeast that is ludicrously expensive to those furhter west), but I for one would love to know if someone has a great sale in my area on Boston Butts or peppers or smoking and grilling gadgets.

I do want to emphasize that I think we should stay away from the truly central BS items that various Forum members carry to avoid awkwardness and hard feelings."

Quite a few people seemed to like this idea, as the responses indicate.  However, a number of posts appeared subsequently with great deals on things like wild-caught King salmon or meat injectors in other topics.  When I asked if they could be moved to the Big Sales/Deep Discounts topic the consensus was that it might be pretty difficult to do (thought Olds may have a quick solution).

In my long-winded way, what I'm wondering is if we should create a new Forum within the Consumables and Accessories grouping.  There would then be 3 forums in that grouping:  Accessories, Bradley Flavor Bisquettes, and the new Big Sales/Deep Discounts.  It seems like that would provide an fairly obvious place to post a good deal, and would make it much easier for the Admin--Good Guy to move appropriate posts to that forum if it were posted elsewhere.

I'm sure you have lots to catch up on, but when you get chance to catch your breath, let me know if think this idea is worthwhile.

BTW, did our friend Jenna Walls catch up with you at the Indy?

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

nsxbill

The last half was the exciting half anyway, John.  

Patrick almost did it!  Scary close race!.  

Dispite more interest in Formula 1 by me, this year's Indy was pretty darn exciting, especially with Patrick almost blowing off all that male competition.  

I haven't raced my NSX for over two years.  Going to throw a battey in it, take a scary run around the block, clean it up, and get it ready to go to New York in October/November when my buddy comes back from Iraq.  He is going to buy it bring it up to speed and race it himself.  Now just getting too damn old for the fast track, but I sure did like it!

Going to go out and lood for a nice classic 1993 600SEC MBZ.  Love those big coupes, and this one had a V12 in it.  Fun driver, and perfect for the long road trips.  Not an NSX, but sure more comfortable.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.