• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Beer Can Racks and other thing....

Started by kromerwolf, June 12, 2010, 03:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kromerwolf

Hi, I've just completed my first smoking ever and I am somewhat worried that I will ever master this skill. My firsy smoke consisted of a medium sized chicken and a full rack of pork ribs. In an effort to minimize the mess I used a beer can rack for each item (no actual beer or any liquid in the rack). I simpley sat the chicken on the rack as per normal and wrapped the ribs vertically aroud the other. This worked great as then put each rack into a small aluminum plate that collected all the droppings. I had absolutely no mess to clean up from the meat.

I believe that I oversmoked as I allowed it to smoke for approx 4.5 hours. The end result was a bit too smokey for mine and my family's liking so in the future I am considering a max of 2 hours for any cook.

I used Hickory disks which I was told is the strongest smoke. I really do not know so please advise me on this. I would like to try the mildest smoke disks; can someone please let me know which one this would be.

I also noticed that the upper portion of my chicken was almost black. I attribute this to the fact that it was directly under the upper vent. I will not repeat this error.

The instructions that come with the smoker recommends pre cooking the ribs for an hour in the oven, does anyone here do this?

Anyway, that's enough for now. I am grateful for all tips and advice.

SS

classicrockgriller

For me I would have had the chicken below the ribs.

You need to have the vent wide open for chicken.

That is probaly why you had some black rain on your chicken.

Ribs are cooked by site and feel and TIME is a guideline.

I don't precook ribs.

4.5 hrs of smoke for ribs and chicken might be a tad much.

about 2 hrs for chicken and 3 hrs for ribs.

KevinG

Apple is a pretty mild bisquette.

I haven't seen the problem with the chicken turning black yet. I'm not sure if you had your vent open or not, but it should have been wide open. I also don't think I would have done poultry with ribs. Not a good idea to mix those two. You are right on the amount of smoke, I never go over 4 hours and with hickory or mesquite not over 2.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

DarqMan

Apple and Cherry bisquettes are probably the mildest.  I've used apple on a rack of baby backs and the smoke is very subtle.

As far as what you did incorrectly is hard to say without having seen or tasted the result.  However, with chicken you want to keep the vent all the way open because of the high moisture content.  The moisture makes it difficult to get the cabinet tempuerature up around where you want it. When cooking chicken always use something to check the internal temperature and the thigh should be around 180 degrees.

The ribs are a little more difficult.  It's different each time you do them.  to determine if they're done take a toothpick and if it easily inserts between the meat and bone that's a good indication they're almost there.  Other visual clues include meat pulling back from the bone and they will "bend and crack" easily without breaking.  It really is a bit of an art when it comes to ribs. 

All that said, it takes some practice but the rewards are well worth it IMHO.  Stick with it!!
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

KevinG

Apple is a pretty mild bisquette.

I haven't seen the problem with the chicken turning black yet. I'm not sure if you had your vent open or not, but it should have been wide open. I also don't think I would have done poultry with ribs. Not a good idea to mix those two. You are right on the amount of smoke, I never go over 4 hours and with hickory or mesquite not over 2. I don't pre-cook my ribs.

classicrockgriller

Uhhh Ohhh Kevin's stuttering again! ;D

kromerwolf

Wow, such great info.

My vent was not completely open. I estimate half open at the most. It sounds like this was my problem.

It's interesting that chicken and ribs do not mix...I will keep that in mind in the future.

I will also look out for your recommended chips.

Thank you all, keep the tips coming.

SS

kromerwolf

Another question, how often do you open the door to change the water and rotate the meat? Is this even necessary?

Thanks...SS

KevinG

I usually rotate top to bottom and front to back every 1 to 2 hours depending on what I'm cooking. Just check on the water when you do it. It's always best to not open the door any more than you have to. This will help keep the heat in. Many people put bricks in to help retain the heat.

classicrockgriller

I use a 9x13 disposible cake pan for my water bowl and that will

usually last thru most smokes except for briskets and Butts.

pensrock

I feel Alder is the mildest wood to smoke with but I use more apple than anything then hickory.
Keep the vent open! I also do chicken at higher temps than ribs.

Habanero Smoker

Hi kromerwolf;

Welcome to the forum.

I use to roll my ribs into a spiral (they will stand that way), and cook them vertical; but I never had good luck with that method. They would always come out too dry for me, so I went back to smoking/cooking them flat. With that much smoke and using hickory, your chicken will turn quite dark. That was one of my first experiences when I smoked a chicken in the Bradley. I always change the water in the bowl after the smoke period is over, because the burnt bisquettes act as a wick and will evaporate the water in the bowl quickly. After the initial changing; depending on what is in the smoker I will change the bowl every 4 - 6 hours.

I generally will use apple or maple (sometimes pecan) for chicken, and either of those flavors will work well with ribs; using 2 hours of smoke.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)