• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New "smokin" guy.

Started by Phantom Smoker, June 19, 2010, 01:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phantom Smoker

Just ordered a new six rack Bradley. Cant wait to use it. It will be here next week. I know that I have to "season" the smoker then plan to smoke some wild turkey. Five pounds. How long does it take to smoke it? With Hickory? Plan to smoke it and slice up for lunch meat. Anything else I should know? Thanks guys

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Phantom Archer!

I've not smoked a wild bird, it depends on how big it is. You also might want to consider brining it to add moisture.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

DTAggie

Welcome Phantom.  Have not done a wild bird.  I'm sure you will get good advice shortly.

KevinG

Welcome to the forum Phantom Archer! I think I'd probably bag him and do an oven thing instead. The wild ones seem to be pretty dry as it is. The bacon wrap does sound interesting though. I did the bag thing on my last wild one and it was awesome.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

classicrockgriller

PA, Welcome to the Forum.

Glad to have you here.

Take some pictures of that Turkey smoking.

KyNola

Phantom,
Welcome to the forum.  Did you say HICKORY?  I say hel! yeah but then again I am from Western KY where it's ALL hickory smoked. :D

Phantom Smoker

I do like these ideas and am gonna try them. I have always just took my turkey breast to the meat place and them smoke it and slice it. It stayed very moist. Was wondering how to do that. But will try the other stuff like brine and wrapping in bacon. Sounds good. Thanks guys