• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Help, no heat!

Started by johnnytahoe, June 05, 2005, 03:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnytahoe

I have used my B.S. about 5 times with excellent results. Last weekend whan I went to fire it up, I noticed that the toggle switch has broken off my heat slider bar. I was still able to slide it using a screwdriver. Today when I went to fire it up, the power indicator light on the smoker did not light up and the heating element stayed cold. I am getting power to the smoke generator as I see that light working. I double checked all the cords, pulled them out and pushed them back in. I dont get why I am getting power to the generator and not the smoker. That cord is sitting nice and snug.
Does anyone think it might be the slider switch unit itself, or possibly a larger problem?

Thanks for helping. Sadly, I have 10 pounds of Alaskan caught King Salmon waiting to be smoked :-(

Oldman

I just called Chez about this. He is out at the moment, but I left a message for him.

Chez is a Bradley Dealer. This is his web-site <b>Chez Bubba's House Of Smoke</b>
BTW Thanks for removing your 2 other posting concerning this matter. [:)]

Good Luck!

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

johnnytahoe

Thanks for looking into it for me. I am so frustrated.

nsxbill

Johnnytahoe

No knowing how the slider broke is a biggie.  If it just snapped off in general use, seek a replacement.  BS will stand behind their product, and expedite replacement parts or cabinet replacement to you.  If they do replace the whole cabinet, and you want to part with it reasonably, keep me in mind.  I woud like to have it for parts.  

My experience with BS over past year (my warranty on number 1 smoker expires next month) has been excellent (I have two SS models).  A little problem with puck burner.  I called and had a replacement within 3 days.  They stand behind their smoker, and you will quickly find that out.

Give them a call at Customer service.  They will take good care of you.

Keep me in mind if the cabinet is replaced.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

if you knor for a fact that you are getting power to the bs and the smoke gen is working, have you tried pluging the BS into its own wall socket? or unplug the smoke gen and then plug the BS into that plug? also there is a fuse on the smoke gen? also you said the temp slider broke off, for a temp fix i would try lifting up or lifting down on the temp slider, to see if you can make contact, thats how a  sliding switch works buy making contact , if it broke off then it got bent up . so its not making contact , no contact means no power. take it apart take a look at it to see if you are making contact. so at least you can get you fish smoked, then call bradley to get it fixed .

Chez Bubba

Johnny,

In your previous uses have you ever had liquid, be it fat or water, come out of the bottom of your smoker? If so, I would suspect that also fried your temp control board.

As Rob says, check the fuse in the back of the generator. I don't know if that regulates both the generator & heater bulb or just the heater bulb.

Another possibility is how much other stuff is running on the same circut you're plugging into or are you using an extension cord? The generator has a small power draw, it's the bulb that needs the juice.

Feel free to give us a call at 574-276-8746 and & I'll be happy to try & troubleshoot you through getting it back up & running.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

johnnytahoe

<b>WOW! I can't say enough about Bradley customer service!</b> I email them with this problem and you all were correct. The broker slider wasn't sending any juice to the heating element. I told Bradley I did not have my receipt because I got it as a gift, they said no problem and <b>OVERNIGHTED me a new switch panel.</b>
I'm up and running and 2 hours into my 10 hour smoke for Indian Candy Smoked Salmon (and striped bass).

Now we will see if soaking them in the brine for SEVEN days wrecks 'em. I just wasn't going to throw out 10lbs of Alaskan King, so the most I can lose is a few briquettes. The fish smelled clean and looked good, so I just rinsed them off and blow 'em with the hair dryer for a bit and popped 'em in. I'll let ya know what happens.

What a great forum. Keep up the great work!

JJC

Hi JT,

I'm not surprised that Bradley came through for you like that--they're super!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA