• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

newbie needs help with brisquet

Started by Mailman, June 30, 2010, 05:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mailman

OK guys. just got smoker and have been reading post on brisket. I have never done one. i would like an easy recipe and instructions. Remember I'm new to this forum and DO NOT know all your abbreviations. I read one were it said put in foil and FTC. I'm lost. Sorry. I would like to use the smoker from start to finish. As this is for a family reunion and my wife will have our oven tied up. Thanks for any help. Don't tease or harass me to much. I can take some ribbing though.
If to error is human. Than I'm more human than most.

classicrockgriller

first here is a link to the FAQ's and they have a section on the abbreviations.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=748#post748

ArnieM

Take a look at this post on the recipe site; good education too.  I did my last one this way and it came out great.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?532-Brisket-Pachanga

"Ribbing"?  Back ribs, side ribs  ??? ;D ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

FLBentRider

Here is another brisket recipe.

I haven't done the aging part, but the rub is a good one.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?525-WTS-Brisket&p=834#post834
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

GusRobin

It could take anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2 hours per lb, so plan accordingly. It is better to be done earlier than expected and to FTC it than having a table full of hungry people waiting for the thing to get done.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

EZ Smoker

I tend to smoke things the easy way (hence my screen name), especially the first few times I do a particular meat.   The way I smoke brisket is super-easy.   For a whole brisket (as opposed to just a flat), I put on the rub and let it sit in the fridge in saran wrap for several hours.   Then I preheat the smoker and set the meat on the counter for about an hour.   Then I put the meat in using 7 hours of smoke (my preference is hickory...note: most people use less smoke... maybe 4 hours or so) and cooking at 225*.   I change the water in the Bradley every 3 to 4 hours during the smoking time, then check the water every few hours after that to make sure there's enough moisture in the smoker.   When the brisket hits an IT (internal temperature) of 190, I pull it and FTC (that is, I double wrap it in foil, wrap it again in a towel for extra insulation, and put it in a cooler to keep it hot.  This process apparently does good things to a brisket, and you can leave it in there for several hours if need be while you wait for dinner time.).   

If the brisket still has the fat cap on it, I smoke it with the fat cap up, though I've read others who do the opposite.   I've read others who pull it out at a slightly lower IT.   There are a lot of different thoughts on it, but what I do is very, very simple:  Rub, put the meat in the smoker, pull it at 190, FTC, eat.   Generally, my brisket is juicy and tender with a good strong smoke flavor and a nice thick hardened bark (created by my sugar based rub).   

But the links the other guys have given you are great if you want to learn something about cooking a brisket. 

If you're using a smaller piece of meat, like just the flat from the brisket, then obviously it will be shorter cook, and less smoke time.   What kind of brisket do you have?  How big?  Packer cut?  Market trimmed?

It may seem like I'm rubbing salt in the wound, but the truth is I'm trying to cure it.

Mailman

I have not purchased one yet. Will be feeding about a dozen people. Left overs would be okay. Plus I love to eat.

EZ Smoker

I like to get the packer cut with the fat still on it.  You can trim it some, but I've smoked it without any trimming a few times and loved the results.  I think the fat cap on top helps keep the moisture from cooking out of it.   

I'm not sure how much brisket it takes to feed 12 though.   It'll cook down a few pounds from the precooked weight.   
It may seem like I'm rubbing salt in the wound, but the truth is I'm trying to cure it.

ArnieM

Somewhere around 1/3 pound should do it.  Maybe kids less, adults more.  Load up the side dishes - baked beans, cole slaw, corn bread or dinner rolls. 

You might want to do some ABTs as long as you're smoking and cooking anyway.  Maybe even some chicken wings.  Finish 'em off in the oven or on the grill.  Great appetizers.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

DTAggie

Welcome Mailman.  no teasing, I will keep my dachshund locked up.  He hates the mailman.

Mailman

Quote from: DTAggie on July 01, 2010, 09:07:17 PM
Welcome Mailman.  no teasing, I will keep my dachshund locked up.  He hates the mailman.
I can pet just about every dog on my route. They seem to like me. Maybe they relise if they aint nice they might be a new experment in the BDS