• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Digital vs Original with PID addition

Started by idahomayberry, May 29, 2010, 01:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idahomayberry

After a bunch of on-line research, I have decided the bradley smoker is the way to go.  I have read reviews and a bunch of forum postings and it looks like temperature control is an issue.  I am wondering if there is an advantage to the BDS or if I am better off simply buying the Original and using the Auber Dual Probe PID from the beginning.  The digital is an extra $100.00 but the digital does not seem sufficient without the PID.  Am I missing an advantage to the BDS? 

I would also like to start out with a 2nd heating element--we get cold here in Idaho in the winter.  I do not see it listed on the web site, do you special order it from Bradley and how much is it?  Is it difficult to install?  Do you have trouble tripping breakers with two heating elements plus the smoking element?  The most economical and best set up seems to be simply getting the BOS (instead of digital), Dual Proble PID and 2nd heating element all at the beginning.

If I decide to get the 6 rack then I am going to assume the 2nd element will be critical since heating that much more space will lead to even more heating problems.

3rensho

I've got a OBS with a single probe PID and am very happy with the combination.  If you need 6 racks then you have to go with the BDS.  The new dual probe PID from Auber would be nice to have but I have no troubles with my present rig.  I still use the single heating element and that works fine for temps in the teens with no wind in a sheltered patio area.  You'll find a lot of posts on adding a second element.  If I do ever mod my OBS then the first would be a fan.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Habanero Smoker

Hi

Welcome to the forum.

I have the OBS, using a temperature control device that uses a different algorithm then the PID uses. I use the DigiQII made by BBQ Guru. Using a temperature control device such as a PID with the OBS does give you tighter control if you need that type of control. Most users don't need that type of control is you are not making bacon, jerky, sausage and/or fish.

Here is a link to a list of accessories and modifications that some users have made:
Bradley Accessories

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum idahomayberry!

If you are going to smoke your own (homemade) sausages or salmon, I would consider a PID.

I have an OBS and PID, but I started out with just the OBS for a while and turned out some fine eats.

As far as the second element goes, I have not done that mod, winter temps are not an issue for me in Florida.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

RAF128

I've got both a OBS and a 6 rack digital.   I wanted the 6 rack for the extra space.   When I make sausage I like to hang them.   I was a little disappointed in the digital because of the temperature swings.   I wanted  tighter control of the temperature.   I went with the single probe but think the dual is a good idea and if I had to do it again would go that route.   It all depends on what your plans are and what you want to make.    If you're just doing butts, brisket, ribs a chicken and don't the OBS should be for you.  I would suggest a PID but that's just me.   

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: RAF128 on May 29, 2010, 08:05:18 AM
I've got both a OBS and a 6 rack digital.   I wanted the 6 rack for the extra space.   When I make sausage I like to hang them.   I was a little disappointed in the digital because of the temperature swings.   I wanted  tighter control of the temperature.   I went with the single probe but think the dual is a good idea and if I had to do it again would go that route.   It all depends on what your plans are and what you want to make.    If you're just doing butts, brisket, ribs a chicken and don't the OBS should be for you.  I would suggest a PID but that's just me.   

One thing to appreciate - once you have one of these and you discover how easily you can smoke with control you'll probably want to be smoking everything edible, including cheese, fish, sausage, (maybe chocolate), etc.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Caneyscud

I went with the DBS and haven't looked back.  I liked the build better and got a great closeout price.  Never seen the need to do either the PID or the second element.  Will probably do a fan if my laziness ever gets cured - not likely!  BBQ does not require the precise temp management afforded by a PID - nice but not necessary.  Others things do require more precise control.  A PID would be nice, but a little time on your part can overcome the lack of a PID.

I have a 4 rack - didn't need the extra space a 6 rack would give me - I have other, much bigger, smokers to do quantity - just wanted the ease. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

classicrockgriller

ArnieM

Hi idahomayberry and welcome to the forum.

Yep, the PID can control the temps well and six (mine does) steps of time/temp control.  It works well for sausage or for overnight butt when you actually want to get some sleep.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

TestRocket

Welcome to the forums idahomayberry,

I have the OBS and after its first use I added the second element. I just wasn't happy with not being able to get to 210 degs for such a long time (3 racks of ribs). I got the PID for Father's Day and haven't had a chance to use it yet. But I have used the OBS with the second element was happy with its performance. As you see from the various opinions we all like our Bradleys from just like they come to beefed up! You're going to be happy in the end!

KevinG

Welcome to the forum idahomayberry, I bought the Bradley Digital 6 rack and love the extra space it provides. Despite the temperature swings, I still have cranked out some great sausage. I'm not a fish guy, so I can't comment on the stinky stuff. Even you home oven will have temp swings so don't be too alarmed by what you see.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG