• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Completed the 100lb smoke

Started by Mikecosta, June 24, 2010, 05:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikecosta

This is a follow up on the completion of the 2 stage 100lb smoke.  Last week I completed the first phase doing 62lbs the conventional way in BD6 totaling 19 hours and netting 37lbs of finished pulled pork(vacuum wrapped and in the freezer).  Today I finished with 35 lbs of butt and did it totally non-conventional.  Rubbed and refrigerated over night.  Put the 35lbs of butt in a 400f oven (in covered aluminum pans).  After 6 hours and the butt temp At 175F, I then finished the butts off with 4 hours of smoke in the BD6 (the temp was at 225F).  I took the butts out when they got to190F. I then wrapped them in foil and let them rest in a cooler for 2 hours.  I then used the Roman pork puller, added some sauce and vacuum wrapped and froze the 26 lbs of pulled pork.  This process took half the time and was 25% shrinkage versus 40% the conventional way. The end product was very tasty but I won't know how it really stands up to the original batch until I taste it side by side on Monday when we serve(all of the original butt is still frozen).  I can say this the short cut method is very acceptable and very tasty.  Again thanks for all the help.  This site has a wealth of very giving knowledge.

FLBentRider

Thanks for the update.

I'm curious about the taste difference as well.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

Yep thanks for the updated verbal.

Sure would like to see some pics of the pigs cooked.

Try this link to get your pictures going.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=768&postcount=11

Habanero Smoker

I'm not sure how well they would have pulled by hand. Did you test for tenderness or try pulling by hand at all or just use the pork puller? How much smoke flavor did you get compared to the first batch? With the surface of the butts at high temperatures when you placed them in the smoker, there would be less smoke adhesion.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Caneyscud

I call it "cheater BBQ" and it is usually good eats.  I'm real curious for the side-by-side results also.  I find myself having to do briskets that way at least once a year (aka 1st versions of Cowboy Brisket).   Heck, growing up, Mom used to put a brisket in an oven pan, pour some bbq sauce over it and cook it in the oven.   Definitely not Brisket Belt Brisket, but darn good eats when you are a 12 year old with two hollow legs to fill up.  She'd even put a venison  roast in pressure cooker pretty often.  I have never forgiven her for that  ;D - it took all the game flavor out - but she did not like the fame flavor. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

TestRocket

I was just thinking that if there is a big smoke difference in the taste of the two cooks you could mix all the pulled pork in the end and balance the flavors. Just a thought?

Habanero Smoker

I've tried cheater's BBQ when Gizmo posted on this a few years back, but found when you go beyond 350°F the protein will denature but the very little collagen will break breakdown; so the meat remains a little too chewy. As for pressure cooking method, that is a good way of cooking tough cuts of meat. I've been meaning to get a pressure cooker.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

squirtthecat

Pressure cooker butt?  I'd be willing to give one a shot, just to see how the texture of the meat turns out.