• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Turkey Sausage

Started by love the smoke, July 03, 2010, 12:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

love the smoke

Wife has some ground turkey in the freezer and if I don't make sausage out of it I think I will get in the hamburger form (yuck) so I found a recipe for Turkey sausage in the Rytek Kutas book that calls for 1 cup of soy protein concentrate per 7.5 pounds of turkey and 2.5 pounds of fat pork butt. I do not have any of this soy protein concentrate but in a lot of other of his recipes he states SPC or non fat dried milk, so can this be substituted at the same rate of 1 cup

LTS
LTS

Habanero Smoker

For your recipe Non Fat Dry Milk Powder can be used as an equal substitute. One cup per 10 pound (5 ounces or ≈3.5% of green weight) is the recommended amount. Though you can go as high as 12% of the green weight.

Just note that Non Fat Dry Milk Powder, is not the same as the powdered milk you get in the grocery store. Non Fat Dry Milk Powder is a fine powder and powder milk has larger granules. If you use standard powdered milk you will need to process it in a food processor until it has the consistency of cornstarch, then measure by volume. Or measure without processing it by weight; 5 oz ≈ 1 cup. Then mix it in the water that is call for in your recipe so that it distribute evenly throughout the meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

love the smoke

LTS