• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Low carb rub?

Started by jfgardner4, July 17, 2010, 09:48:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfgardner4

Well the wife and I are doing Atkins diet. 
Good thing is lots of meat and cheese.  Bad thing, alot of the rubs have sugars.  I know the sugars help in the "bark" on the meat.

Anyone have options for  this?

Thanks in advance.

FLBentRider

We are low carb, we don't sweat the few grams you'll get in a rub. Now those sticky-sweet sauces are another problem.

The "Salt Lick" rub is:

Kosher salt / black pepper/ cayenne / granulated garlic in a 3/3/1/1 ratio.

It's great if you like it spicy.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KevinG

FL - is that a by weight or by volume ratio?
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Tenpoint5

If I remember right it is by measurement
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

FLBentRider

Quote from: KevinG on July 17, 2010, 11:04:38 AM
FL - is that a by weight or by volume ratio?

I use volume. Cups, tablespoons, whatever...
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KevinG

Thanks, thinking about trying that rub.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

jfgardner4

Thanks guys.  I will give it a go.

First State Smoker

Does anyone have any experience using artificial sweeteners? I've done the low-carb thing for years and while I try to avoid them altogether, I understand Splenda (sucralose) is the best one. I was planning on trying out a rub this weekend replacing brown sugar with Splenda. I'll have to post about how it worked out. Maybe only a small batch... just in case.

Caneyscud

You might try the Stevia stuff also.  Don't know how it does with heat.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

BuyLowSellHigh

A great basic starting point is salt and pepper, and then go from there.  I personally like Montreal Steak Seasoning as a starting point - slat pepper, garlic, onion, red pepper, fennel seeds, coriander seeds, and probably some other secret ingredients. Snoop the spice aisle at your local mega mart and you'll find lots of seasoning blends that are sugar free.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Habanero Smoker

If you are looking to keep the sweet in your rub then Splenda is fine to use. It may be better to get the granulated type that measures like sugar, for easier mixing. They also make a brown sugar substitute. Another good substitute is to use Acesulfame-K; sold under the brand name of Diabeti Sweet and other brand names. These artificial sweeteners are resistant to high temperatures, as is Sweet & Low.

Avoid Equal and other Aspartame sweeteners. They can chemically change at high temperatures.

Stevia is also resistant to heat, but I can't use it because it has a bitter metallic after taste. That after taste happens with some people not all; so it may work for you.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

First State Smoker

I substituted granulated Splenda for brown sugar in the rub for my ribs this weekend and I'm happy to report that it came out tasting great. Of course I put regular BBQ sauce on there, which has a lot of sugar, but still. That will be my next switch.