Just a question...

Started by hal4uk, August 07, 2010, 09:00:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hal4uk

Any of y'all pick guitar?

I've got 3 or 4 laying around.  They're all dusty, and look at me like, "daddy don't you love us anymore?"
Needy little urchins.   I swear, sometimes they're worse than my cats.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

squirtthecat

Do you still have your amp(s)??

hal4uk

Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Quarlow

About 6 years ago my youngest girl wanted a electric guitar. I tried to talk her into an acoustic one to strat with but she wanted that electric one. So she got it for xmas. She played around with it and then took some lessons at school but she bored with it pretty quick. So I said to her why not trade it for an acoustic which she did. She found some guy on Craigslist and we checked it out good, found out what his was worth, talked to the shop where we got hers to see what it was worth. She did a good job. So we made the trade with the guy and she has never been happier. It is amazing what the oldman knows, and I couldn't play a single note if you held the guitar and strummed the strings. She does alright but she is shy around us and only plays when here friends are here. I always wished I could play but these mechanical hands just don't work like that.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

hal4uk

Quote from: Quarlow on August 07, 2010, 09:34:15 PM
About 6 years ago my youngest girl wanted a electric guitar. I tried to talk her into an acoustic one to strat with but she wanted that electric one. So she got it for xmas. She played around with it and then took some lessons at school but she bored with it pretty quick. So I said to her why not trade it for an acoustic which she did. She found some guy on Craigslist and we checked it out good, found out what his was worth, talked to the shop where we got hers to see what it was worth. She did a good job. So we made the trade with the guy and she has never been happier. It is amazing what the oldman knows, and I couldn't play a single note if you held the guitar and strummed the strings. She does alright but she is shy around us and only plays when here friends are here. I always wished I could play but these mechanical hands just don't work like that.
I always wished I could play too -- but I never let it stop me  ;D
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Smokin Soon

I was in one of those "garage bands" in the 60's. Boy did we piss off some neighbors! Have not touched a guitar since then, kind of miss it.

Quarlow

I tried, first the recorder and then the trombone and then the trumpet(I always wanted to play like Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass) but they kept making me practice outside. Oh sure they told me I distracted the others but I really knew it was cause the other kids were jealous. :'( :'(
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Gizmo

Started when I was a kid.  Took a few lessons and gave up as the guitar I had available to me almost needed a vise grip to press the strings down to the frets.  Always wondered what would have happened if I had been able to learn on a guitar that was playable.    ???  Guess it wouldn't have mattered as there are many out there that probably did use a vise grip to learn with and are now in the hall of fame.
Saw some guitars at the County Fair a few weeks back.  They were auction guitars with signatures from several well known bands and guitarists.  That got me wondering if I even remembered how to play a G chord or the lead to the Ventures "Play Guitar with The Ventures Volume 2" Wipe-Out.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

StickyDan

I know the feeling Hal. I played my first gig in a bar 18 yrs ago.  I was 15 and since then I've collected enough gear for an entire band. I've got a Firebird, an Explorer and a Washburn acoustic that are all begging to be played. Not to mention the Marshall and various PA equipment laying around.  I barely play guitar now.  That's what marriage did to me!  I like to bug my wife and tell her "You squashed my dreams woman!!!".  
I bought a set of electric drums almost a year ago.  They're a whole lot of fun to bang on after work and I don't tick off the neighbors.  
What do you have kickin' around Hal?

EZ Smoker

About a year-and-a-half ago I bought a Fender Jazzmaster (looks like the one Elvis Costello plays), and I'm picking and strumming on it occasionally, trying to do a little writing, using riffworks and Cakewalk Sonar to record on my computer.   I also have an Aria Pro II Superbass, which I also use for the same purpose.   I grew up in rock bands.  Went on a brief tour in the late 80's.   
It may seem like I'm rubbing salt in the wound, but the truth is I'm trying to cure it.

hal4uk

Quote from: StickyDan on August 07, 2010, 10:38:46 PM
I know the feeling Hal. I played my first gig in a bar 18 yrs ago.  I was 15 and since then I've collected enough gear for an entire band. I've got a Firebird, an Explorer and a Washburn acoustic that are all begging to be played. Not to mention the Marshall and various PA equipment laying around.  I barely play guitar now.  That's what marriage did to me!  I like to bug my wife and tell her "You squashed my dreams woman!!!".  
I bought a set of electric drums almost a year ago.  They're a whole lot of fun to bang on after work and I don't tick off the neighbors.  
What do you have kickin' around Hal?
Mostly junk, except for a Taylor acoustic (the one I play - when I do play)
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

classicrockgriller

As much as I Love music, that is one of my regrets, that I didn't learn to play

a musical instrument. Was always gonna do it and then it was well maybe next

year and one day you look up and you don't have too many next years. But now

I do play a mean "Air Guitar" and it doesn't collect dust.

StickyDan

I've seen people make "junk" sing like you wouldn't believe. 
I'd love to play in a band again but I don't think I'd like to play shows or tour anymore.  Although it's a lot of fun - from what I can remember - it's a real PITA, especially when you work  a more than full time job.  Plus, being married kinda takes the sex part out of "sex drugs and rock & roll".  Woman, yer squashing my dreams!!! ;D ;D ;D