• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Ok I Did it... You all talked me into it.

Started by Oldman, June 18, 2005, 12:40:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

Well it took some lookin' but I finally found a <b><i>Choice</i></b> grade brisket today. And then this market only had one! It sure cost more than the ones in the supermarkets! $2.99 per pound!

It is 12 pounds and it is already trim up pretty good. I doubt I will have to trim much more. I'm going to age it at least 21 days-wet. I'm still kicking around the idea of dry ageing but I'm not ready to make that jump yet. Beside I'm not sure dry ageing would work for a brisket as it would dry it out some.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

MWS

Do let us know how it goes...

<i><font color="green"><b>Mike </i></font id="green"></b>

<i><font color="black">"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved".</i></font id="black">
 -John Wayne

Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

psdubl07

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
It is 12 pounds and it is already trim up pretty good. I doubt I will have to trim much more. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Olds, IMO I would not trim it if it's under 1/8-1/4 inch of fat.

Oldman

I think what I'm going to do is split this brisket into 3 items.
1. A Smoked Brisket
2. Corn Beef
3. Pastrami

The reason is with only Susan and Mother to help me eat it I don't need 12 pounds of Smoked Brisket. [:0]

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

psdubl07

If you do trim some of the fat and connective tissue between the flat and point, it will prob be around 11 lbs.  Which means cooked you might end up with 1/2 to 2/3 of that.

BigSmoker

Good for U Olds'.  I know some of the Que competition teams use dry aged brisket with much success.  I'm real interested in your results with a wet aged brisket for sure.  I only cook the flats cause like you 12 lbs is just to much for my family and the point has lots more fat and just ends up getting chopped up most of the time.  I like mine sliced.  No triming is necessary until you are ready to eat.  What ever fat is left just cut it off as you slice.  I can find flats at Sam's and Costco here.  If you can find one packed by IBP(Iowa beef processors)they tend to be of a higher quality but excel is what we get the most of around here.  Anyway keep us posted.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.