• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Corn Beef-- need you all to look this over please

Started by Oldman, June 20, 2005, 02:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

I think I posted that when my X left she took all of my old recipes--16/ 17 years ago. Sitting here today I pulled this out of my memory. I'm not totally certain about the amounts. Also in those years I used Salt Peter. I substituted Morton's TenderQuick.  

I would like you all to look this over. If something seems out of line give me yell--<i>Please and Thank You!</i><hr noshade size="1"><hr noshade size="1"><center> <b><font color="green"><font size="3">Corned Beef--Old's Style</font id="size3"></font id="green"></b></center><font color="blue"><b>Ingredients:</b></font id="blue">
<ul><li>1 Beef Roast--Bottom Round (About 4 pounds.)</li>
<li>1 & 1/4 Tablespoons Morton's TenderQuick per pound of meat</li>
<li>1/3 C Brown sugar</li>
<li>3 Whole Cloves</li>
<li>6 Garlic cloves peeled</li>
<li>2 tsp Paprika</li>
<li>3/4 C Salt</li>
<li>3 Bay leaves</li>
<li>2 Tbl whole Coriander seeds</li>
<li>2 Tbl whole Peppercorns</li>
<li>3 tsp Mustard seed</li></ul>
<font color="blue"><b>Directions:</b></font id="blue"><ul>1. Coarsely chop:
<ul>* Garlic
* Bay leaves</ul>
2. Combine all ingredients--mixing well.
3. Rub this mixture into roast--pressing it in well.
4. Measure meat at its thickest point.
5. Place roast into zip-lock bag. (Place bag into a pan.)
6. Allow meat to cure for 5 days per measured inch
7. Turn bag daily.</ul>
<font color="green"><i>Note: Temperature range during curing 34-38 F.</i></font id="green">

<font color="blue"><b>How To Cook:</b></font id="blue">
<ul>1. Drain, rinse and pat dry roast.
2. Pre-heat oven to 225- 250 F.
3. Wrap roast in two layers of heavy foil--sealing well.
4. Dry Rack the roast in the oven--place a flat pan the next level
down under the roast to catch any juices that escape the foil.
5. Roast until temperature of roast is 130 F
6. Place in passive oven (FTC) for two hours.</ul>
<font color="green"><i>Note: you don't want any juices to escape during the roasting,
so wrap foil carefully.</i></font id="green"> <hr noshade size="1"><hr noshade size="1">Now I know most will use a Dutch Oven with water, and I have done it that way. However, somewhere in my ole memory it seems to me that I went to slow semi-dry roasting and the flavor was more intense.

Suggestions? Comments?
Olds

EDIT for code change.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Bad Flynch

I have used that very process on the advice of Morton's book, but substituted a commercial pickling spice mixture and it works very well. The added garlic and even a little onion are two of the real kickers. Over the years, however, I have come to the conclusion that corned beef tastes a little better when made from brisket. There is something in the extra fat of the brisket tissue that improves the flavor; it is just personal preference, though. When made at home, at least one has a choice and can choose something like point cut brisket or round at will.

B.F.
B.F.

ChefBill

Raye,
Try cooking it in the plastic Reynolds Oven Bag. There is a cooking time chart in the box with the bags for corned beef. I like it cooked this way. Has a great taste.  Bill

ChefBill
If you can eat it, you can smoke it.
If you can eat it, Then You can smoke it