• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Just about ready to buy and have a question.

Started by Chili Head, September 04, 2010, 10:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chili Head

This will be my first smoker purchase and I've been looking into a BDS and am wondering just how accurate the system is with temps. I see where a lot of people use a PID with the OBS and that I understand. But I see where some even use one with the digital smoker. Why would you need the PID with the digital? If the digital isn't very accurate I'll just get the OBS and a PID. This is all thats holding me up at this point, from what I can tell the bradley will do everything I need to do.

Thanks for the help everyone  ;)

3rensho

I've got the OBS with PID.  From what I've read the native DBS allows wider temperature swings than a PID will.  Personally I'd still go with the OBS/PID combo unless you need the 6 rack option.  Also on the DBS the timer buffer uses I believe a 16 bit buffer and you have to reset the timer after 9+ hours on longer smokes.  Don't know if they've addressed that yet on newer models.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

classicrockgriller

Not saying this is an Old topic to talk about, but it comes up once a month.

I have a DBS 6rk and a OBS and I love them both.

Is there a difference, yes.

To me the DBS is built better. Thicker inside walls, just a little better.

I smoked/cook a lot on the DBS before I bought a PID.

I have the smoke/cook post to prove it.

Then I bought an OBS, still a nice smoker.

Actually you don't need a PID with either one, IF

you learn your smoker.

The PID just makes it easier. Unless ...

You are smoking sausage or fish. Then the pid will

help you ramp your temps.

The Pid on a long smoke/cook butts,briskets is a set and forget controller.

The temp swings settle down on the DBS after you are cooking.

Again it is learning your smoker.

Chili Head

Thanks for the insight classicrockgriller and 3rensho!

I think I'm going to pass on the PID for now and see how things turn out without it.  :P

classicrockgriller

Quote from: 3rensho on September 04, 2010, 11:16:25 PM
I've got the OBS with PID.  From what I've read the native DBS allows wider temperature swings than a PID will.  Personally I'd still go with the OBS/PID combo unless you need the 6 rack option.  Also on the DBS the timer buffer uses I believe a 16 bit buffer and you have to reset the timer after 9+ hours on longer smokes.  Don't know if they've addressed that yet on newer models.
Quote from: Chili Head on September 05, 2010, 01:06:58 AM
Thanks for the insight classicrockgriller and 3rensho!

I think I'm going to pass on the PID for now and see how things turn out without it.  :P

The nice thing about waiting when the extra is not part of the package is that you can

decide if you need it or not. What ever you decide, you should be Happy.