• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Temp Questions

Started by DADAKOTA, September 10, 2010, 05:35:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DADAKOTA

I have not yet acquired a Maverick or a PID.  I'll be using the cabinet temp guage and a couple of thermoworks RT600C 6 second thermometers.  Varous threads indicate that the cabinet temp guage is not very accurate.  Any suggestions on how to best monitor the cabinet temp?  How often should one check IT and won't constant piercing of the pork butt cause a loss of moisture?  Trying to reduce errors on the first smoke.  Seasoning of the smoker went well and everything appears to be in working order.

FLBentRider

If I recall correctly, you are only doing 1 pork butt.

If that is the case, place the butt on a rack ABOVE the door thermometer, that will minimize the inaccuracy.

I wouldn't start checking the IT until 8-10 hours in, at least. You may want to hit up your local store for a wired probe thermometer.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Wildcat

If you are using the OBS, in your situtation, I would simply put the slider at least 3/4 (possibly just shy of full on), and let it rip for 10 to 12 hours, then check meat temp every 2 or 3 hours until desired doneness. The butt is very forgiving. The internal meat temp will stall at around 160 for several hours and then start to rise. You can stop cooking at around 180 to 200 meat temp.

You really should get a thermometer to read the cabinet temp as soon as you can.

Happy smoking!
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

ArnieM

I have removed the door temp gauge to test it and found it quite accurate.  The problem is where the meat is in relation to the probe.  As FLBR said, try to keep the meat above the probe.

You really should pick up an inexpensive wired probe  thermo.  You could use it for cabinet temp as well as IT in the smoker (not at the same time of course), in the oven and on the grill.  I got one a few years ago at Bet, Bath and Beyond for $20 - 20%.  Not only does it still work, I'm still on the original batteries.  Well worth it.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Caneyscud

I have found the same thing Arnie.  In fact as you get to know your smoker, you can use the cabinet thermo.  If the cabinet thermometer reads one temp and a remote reads something else on the second rack.  Quite often, next time you do that, the same relationship will be there.  It's all (or at least somewhat) relative - Dr. Watson.  I very seldom use a remote anymore.  Just rely on the cabinet thermo (actually the digiital readout on my DBS) and quick checks with a thermopen as the meat is close to done.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

DADAKOTA