Tenpoint 5

Started by terry08, October 15, 2010, 05:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terry08

After curing the hillbilly bacon for ten days, and then smoking it in the smoker I built from nepas design. I was very surprised, I used a store bought High Mountain Buck Board Bacon Cure, instead of the phone guy's. After slicing and vacuum sealing I ended up with 11 1/2 lbs of bacon. I must say it was some of the best stuff I have ever tasted. My mistake was giving two pounds to a business partner who just happens to be a bacon connoisseur. He has not stopped bragging about it and has served some to other friends of his who have given rage reviews. Now they want me to smoke twelve butts for them. As they want plenty to take to Talidaga Florida Race with them, and still have plenty left at home. Makes me feel proud of a smoke done well.

My question is ? can I use your recipe for maple cured bacon to do the hillbilly bacon. It sounds Great, and I feel I already know the answer but, you folks have been so helpful and kind that I thought I better ask anyway.

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

terry08

Tenpoint 5, Is there a reason why you would not ? It has the cure, brown sugar, and maple syrup. Seems the only difference is instead of brushing the syrup on after curing, you make the paste you refer to. J felt that by brushing it on before smoking, did not have much maple taste. By no means am I doubting your expertise, just asking a question.

Tenpoint5

The reason I said I wouldn't is because I am basically quite confused as to what your trying to accomplish. Are you making Belly Bacon? Hillbilly Bacon?(Not real sure what this one is) or Buckboard Bacon?  Are you using Bellies or Butts? Are you going to be using the recipe that I use for Belly bacon or the High mountain? I dont want to give advice on a lack of knowledge. I just dont want you or your friends to get sick because I gave my opinion without knowing all the facts. I will be the first to tell you I am not an expert on curing or anything in particular. I can only base my ideas off what I have done or from answers that I get from others here on the forum. Not knowing all the parties in play I opted for the I wouldn't do it. I have not made buckboard bacon (Butts)with the recipe that I use for my bacon (Bellies) So I am not sure how everything will react or how long it will take for the cure to penetrate or if it will penetrate sufficiently enough. Just being honest here

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

terry08

I apologize for not making myself clear. What I want to do is the Hill Billy Bacon. Using Boston Butt, sliced 3 inches thick. And then cure with your recipe. 2 oz. Kosher salt, 2 tsp cure #1, 1/4 C. Maple Syrup, 1/4 C. brown sugar. 5 lbs of butt. I do know that 1 tsp of cure for five pounds of meat is correct, so I feel that by curing for seven to ten days all should be fine but, as you stated I would never risk someone getting sick over my lack of knowledge. I have smoked tons of sausage. From venison, pork, Italian, chorizo and many more. When it comes to curing bacon and such I am just a novice and looking for advise.

Tenpoint5

Like I said I have never tried it. If you do please tell us how it came out. I am thinking with the cure the butt will have more of a ham like taste than it will a bacon taste though.

terry08

You are correct, the ones I did last week came out like smoked ham. I assume that is what the hii billy bacon is supposed to be. Much leaner than bacon but a wonderful texture and flavor. I prefer pork belly, which is my next project. Just picked up ten eight prong bacon hooks, and will pick up 30 lbs pork belly Tuesday, I will use your recipe for them. The friends I shared the hill billy bacon with just loved it and I just wanted to give it a little more maple flavor. I will go for it and if anyone dies, I never spoke with you. :-X :-X :-X

Habanero Smoker

Hillbilly bacon and buckboard bacon are essentially the same.

You can use 10.5's recipe to cure the butt, but I'm not sure how you are going to use the recipe. If you mix the syrup into the cure before hand, when using a liquid or syrup more cure is needed since some of it will be suspended in the liquid and not immediately in direct contact with the meat. 10.5's recipe should cure about 5 - 7 pounds, depending on how many slabs and surface area of sliced butt you have.

But If you are going to follow PhoneGuys procedure then I would use the 1 teaspoon of cure #1 per five pounds, since he is brushing the syrup on prior to smoking. Also I would not drain the liquid after three days, as per his instructions; and I like to flip the bag over daily.

If you handle the meat properly and cook it at the temperature that is called for in the recipe, it will not make anyone sick. The worse I can see happening is that for a first time trial, there is a small possibility that it may not cure all the way to the center. If this happens it will be an area in the center of the meat that will be grayish after it has been cooked. It may look unappetizing, but it is safe to eat, and must be treated as uncured cooked meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

terry08

Thanks Habanero, That answers my question. Now for another question. I have picked up the pork bellies and am just curious about the 2 oz. kosher salt, and 2 tsp. of cure per five pounds. No rinsing involved and no soaking for an hour or two. Will this bacon be way to salty ? just not wanting to ruin thirty pounds of Bacon. After I read your post about the cure being suspended in the liquid, it makes since. Just being cautious. TenPoint 5's recipe sounds great and I am sure many have used it. Being a novice at this I am just double checking.

Habanero Smoker

I'm getting confused on how you intend to use Tenpoint5's recipe. If you follow the recipe and the curing method you should have no problems. The recipe does call for you to rinse (step #4), if after curing and rinsing you can test it by slicing a small piece off and pan fry it. After tasting and you feel it is salty then soak. Keep in mind, at this point the curing process has not stopped, and it will be slightly saltier near the surface; it will take a few more hours for the salts to equalize throughout the meat. To ease your mind a little about the recipe, the formula for the recipe comes from the book "Charcuterie: The Crafts of Salting, Smoking and Curing", by Michael Runlman & Brian Polcyn.

If you intend to apply a dry cure without the syrup then I would suggest making a batch of Dry Cure, and apply that at 1 tablespoon per pound; or use Morton's Tender Quick. If you make the basic dry cure, and you don't cure often, you may want to make half a batch. Also if you do make a batch it is important to use pickling salt (aka canning salt, pure salt, non-iodized table salt). You want to grains of the salt, sugar, and cure to be about the same size, and pickling salt disolves better then koser when applied to meat surface.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

terry08

Thanks Hab, Again my mistake. I printed the recipe a while back and have read it many times. Can't believe I missed the rinse after curing, or maybe just getting old. I understand all now and will get them going today. I will mix my own cure as I purchase my cure in ten pound bags and brown sugar in 80# bags, as I do a lot of sausage. I am lucky to have a butcher supply here who sells wholesale to every one. Just like the bacon hooks. I ordered two from lem at a price of $ 7.95, after shipping and handling the cost me $ 27.00. I went to my local supplier and picked up eight more for $ 4.25 each. Just never thought Kenny would have them. I learned that anything pertaining to smoking or processing meat he carries it. Bulk spices of every kind and the list goes on and on. I am now using sawdust which I also did not know he carried. The price is $10.00 for a forty pound bag beats $ 3.99 a bag for chips and the smoke is amazing as I did a dry run in the smoke house just to check smoke time per filling. I got two hours and forty five minutes of smoke from one filling. Great savings.

Thanks for all the help guys. I will follow Tenpoint's recipe to the letter. Wish me luck.

terry08

When it comes to sausage making, I would give myself a score of 9 on a scale of 1 to 10. But when it comes to curing and brining I am a novice. I would give you folks a score of 20 or better at this procedure. I have learned very much in the shot time I have been on the site. Once again thanks for all your help. Just finished trimming the skin of of a ten pound belly and rubbing the cure on. I am about to start the next ten pounds. Can't wait for the cure to be over and then roll the smoke.

Habanero Smoker

Following 10.5's tutorial should get you some good results. Let us know how your bacon turns out.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

terry08

I know it will. I must admit, that on the last ten pounds of belly I added one teaspoon of rum  to the cure mix. Just trying to match my Grandfathers bacon. Will let you know how it all comes out, with pics included.